Glass forge for creating natural tiles without buried objects?

Hello!

I've been trying to get this to work for ages now, following the advice from this excellent thread: https://forums.kleientertainment.com/forums/topic/110299-pip-planting-everything-you-need-to-know/

Unfortunately, I keep getting either sand-with-buried-object or dirt-with-buried-object, and the results don't seem deterministic. I started by trying to use the exact same setup as the one suggested in the thread (5kg algae, 2084g/s of glass going to 12 outputs, insulated tile layout), and then running that setup using different types of insulation. I then started to try different permutations of things. One thing I haven't tried is running on different speeds (I'm currently using 3x).

I can get 8334g of glass to 3 outputs with 10kg algae to work on sandbox (1 of the 3 tiles has a buried object). I can't reproduce this in survival, though. Has anyone had any luck with baking an entire line of dirt using the glass forge method?

Adding: I can also get it to work on sandbox down to 5000g@valve on 10kg of algae, if I do every other tile. Of course, filling in the gaps is then problematic, because then I get buried objects.

I still can't reproduce any of this in survival mode, though. I've tried to keep conditions (ambient temp, etc.) as closely matched as possible. No luck :(

I think, this is totally random in real gameplay.

You need glass to be liquid at the moment of algae turning to dirt. But to be cold enough to not overheating dirt into sand. All heat exchanges is important, with surrounding gas, with neighbor tiles, etc

As long as this calculations happens simultaneously in different threads, we cannot have any determinism/ For example, gas may became hot and at exactly same moment moves to next cell, preventing glass from cooling fast enough.

Try to do this on x1 speed, and possibly couple of save/load may give you desired result

Not totally random. The glass approach was originally presented by me here, if I remember correctly. It is not in the referenced thread, but somewhere before that in the timeline. 

I remember I experimented for a while to get rid of the embedded glass.

So what I wrote back then is this:

"I later tuned this to 10kg or 15kg glass and 10kg Algae on an insulated tile and found that this also eliminates the embedded Glass." 

The numbers are important. Glass should be via insulated pipes and the glass forge itself (!) also needs to be on insulated tiles or the glass gets cooled there already. The colder the glass, the higher the change of embedding it in the tile. I recommend keeping the glass angle fixed and experimenting with variable amounts of algae if the recipe needs tuning.

Edit: My theory is that the glass needs to still be liquid when the dirt-tile forms, because liquid cannot be embedded into a tile.

Thanks for your replies!

I didn't realize that the glass forge should be sitting on insulated tiles as well. Tried this with varying amounts of algae and glass (starting from 8333g/s valve and 10-15kg of algae)... unfortunately I keep ending up with buried glass.

Screenshot (125).png

Screenshot (126).png

Aha! First partial success in survival mode, a single dirt tile without buried objects:

Screenshot (127).png

Turns cutting out the glass-dropping-on-top-of-algae altogether works for me :)

Screenshot (128).png

Archived