Heat boost experiments with Molten Salt Gas

2 hours ago, GreezyHammer said:

Comments, concerns, criticisms?

Comment:

The diamond window tile can be replaced for obsidian tile. This applies in the regolith-igneous rock heat exchange lines. The justification is that the thermal conductivity for regolith is taken into account as the deciding factor. (As in: it won't get better even if using thermium...)

Diamond window tile looks better, though.

Nice use of boiling salt, btw.

Concern:

I've been having somewhat of a blast with naphtha disappearing from my tricked pump arrangements. We're talking about a very late game base where save/load is "shenaniganing" with falling liquids. For now, the latest attempt at mitigating this has led me to place a liquid valve set at 10 g/s prior to the liquid vent that is in charge of releasing the naphtha back for use in one of the pumps as well as a mesh tile for beading. The cycle sensor disables pumping near auto-save time:

755960444_Trickedpumpv7.png.82d9196b7a917e41b61240db4d435388.png

Version 7, for luck. It should last longer. Top valve is set at 10 g/s.

Criticism:

Rather minor, I'd say. Ok, input regolith is at 300º C. What's the output temperature of the igneous rock?

On 1/3/2022 at 4:43 PM, GreezyHammer said:

Comments

Hey, I got back into ONI this week after youtube recommended one of your videos. I must say I really enjoy your unabashed use of weird game mechanics, even though the explanations could be more detailed for people new to the topic (or for people having taken a 3-year break, ha.)

How does it compare to this?

Especially in terms of igneous output temperature, and magma g/s used. :)

Can you quantify the benefit do you get from the salt? 

Also, is there still an infinite regolith supply? I got to the top of the asteroid and there don't seem to be any meteor showers. Doing a mostly blind playthrough with the DLC, and I'm a bit confused since the space scanner's description still talks about meteors but none have fallen in a few hundred cycles.

20 minutes ago, biopon said:

Also, is there still an infinite regolith supply?

Vanilla still has copious amounts of that stuff "raining" from the skies. I believe DLC's implementation of that is location/asteroid dependent.

On 1/3/2022 at 7:58 PM, JRup said:

Concern:

I've been having somewhat of a blast with naphtha disappearing from my tricked pump arrangements. We're talking about a very late game base where save/load is "shenaniganing" with falling liquids. For now, the latest attempt at mitigating this has led me to place a liquid valve set at 10 g/s prior to the liquid vent that is in charge of releasing the naphtha back for use in one of the pumps as well as a mesh tile for beading. The cycle sensor disables pumping near auto-save time:

Regarding disappearing naphtha, I've noticed the same thing on a very late-game map as well. At first, I thought I was losing my mind.

As a workaround, connected top-up lines with a few packets of naphtha, and just connect pipe, top-up, then cut the pipe with pliers.

For the salt regolith melter, I found diamond at least helps to better buffer heat, as it stores more, but yes, the regolith itself is the real bottleneck.

Igneous rock comes out at 1264 C.

On 1/6/2022 at 3:36 PM, biopon said:

Especially in terms of igneous output temperature, and magma g/s used. :)

Can you quantify the benefit do you get from the salt? 

Also, is there still an infinite regolith supply? I got to the top of the asteroid and there don't seem to be any meteor showers. Doing a mostly blind playthrough with the DLC, and I'm a bit confused since the space scanner's description still talks about meteors but none have fallen in a few hundred cycles.

I definitely need to do some testing using bridges as heat couplers.

Regolith in: 20kg/s 300 C

Igneous out: 20kg/s 1264 C

Magma used: 2100g/s average, in at 2300 C, out at 1872 C, 900 KDTU/s transferred to steam buffer.

Magma temperature assumes it's made in a glass boiler.

About 4% heat goes into walls, etc. Remaining 865 KDTU/s goes from steam buffer into molten salt.

Molten salt: 3200g/s average, across multiple pipes, at or below 1kg/s, in at 1460 C, out at 1846 C.

Salt boils instantly upon exiting vent, gets pushed into airflow tile, gains extra 222 KDTU/s as gas, due to change in SHC.

1087 KDTU/s (865 + 222) transfers to regolith. Salt gas condenses to 1460 C, teleports up to the pump.

About 187 to 200 KDTU/s extra are created by salt loop and go into regolith after it was heated by igneous rock.

Archived