Getting food into rocket via conveyer?

Currently doing my first playthrough of the DLC, all I'm trying to do is this: 

(sending in cold food via conveyor rail inside the rocket)

image.thumb.png.0a4d1a65502d8bc0e4de05b00c508b86.png

The Solid Rocket Port Loading does not work because I can't select "edible" in any cargo bay. You can select food inside the rocket in the Conveyor Loader Fitting so I am assuming there has to be a way!? 

I've made a mod that allows food in cargo bays, but it's not on steam yet. I can upload if people want it. I *think* the devs didn't allow it because of food spoilage mechanics. 

Without a mod you can't do that, you have to either build a fridge inside, load it with food and then and deconstruct it, or build the conveyor inside the module. 

1 hour ago, MiniDeathStar said:

I've made a mod that allows food in cargo bays, but it's not on steam yet. I can upload if people want it. I *think* the devs didn't allow it because of food spoilage mechanics. 

Without a mod you can't do that, you have to either build a fridge inside, load it with food and then and deconstruct it, or build the conveyor inside the module. 

So there actually is no way huh :shock:

I would assume they just forgot about it. For balance it really doesn't make a difference, just adds one unnecessary step. I already have the cold food designated for the rocket stored in a vacuum anyways. Since it is separate from my main freezer food (not stored in a vacuum), all i need to do is sweep up the food in the vacuum -> manual loader (sweep only) inside the rocket. Just adds the unnecessary sweep command, everything else is the same as if the rocket had an conveyer input. 

22 minutes ago, Mullematsch said:

So there actually is no way huh :shock:

I would assume they just forgot about it. For balance it really doesn't make a difference, just adds one unnecessary step. I already have the cold food designated for the rocket stored in a vacuum anyways. Since it is separate from my main freezer food (not stored in vacuum), all i need to do is sweep only the food in the vacuum -> manual loader inside the rocket. Just adds the unnecessary sweep command, everything else is the same as if the rocket had an conveyer input. 

Yeah it's a bit more micro managment than necessary atm. The only rocket module that can hold food right now is the orbital cargo module. It can hold up to 6000kg of food and if your food is deep frozen, it won't spoil while inside the cargo module if your rocket is in a vacuum. However, there is a bug where it seems like the sterile atmosphere isn't properly accounted for while the rocket is traveling in space, so it might lose a bit of freshness during transit. It will stop spoiling again after landing.

I wonder if they will ever add shipping rails input/output to the spacefarer modules themselves.

49 minutes ago, NeoDeusMachina said:

I wonder if they will ever add shipping rails input/output to the spacefarer modules themselves.

I would hope so. At least in my opinion, balance wise it changes nothing really. 

49 minutes ago, NeoDeusMachina said:

Yeah it's a bit more micro managment than necessary atm. The only rocket module that can hold food right now is the orbital cargo module. It can hold up to 6000kg of food and if your food is deep frozen, it won't spoil while inside the cargo module. However, there is a bug where the sterile atmosphere from the vacuum isn't properly accounted for while the rocket is traveling in space, so it might lose a bit of freshness during transit. It will stop spoiling again after landing.

6t of food is a crazy amount so that would be more than sufficient. I didn't know that you can put food into the orbital cargo module - you can load it automatically, however duplicants / sweeper & conveyer loader fitting inside the rocket can't seem to be able to take out the food.

image.thumb.png.4c90291297eeca5fcb40c5d5e48b6c06.png

And my "thing" is that I land on asteroids with 5+ rockets simultaneously and build no base really.

2 rockets = beds and suits (14 dups) 

1 = great hall / oxygen compressor / vacuum food storage (which is being annoying to 100% automate because no conveyer input for food, thus this thread) 

1 = toilet rocket / water compressor / materials 

1 = more compressors rocket [Nat Gas, Coal, CO2] 

So I kinda want the food to be set up nicely and as much automated as possible which I guess leaves the sweep only loader as the only good solution. 

I'm experimenting with the idea of living out of rockets basically. 

9 minutes ago, Mullematsch said:

6t of food is crazy amounts so that would be more than sufficient. I didn't know that you can put food into the orbital cargo module - you can load it automatically, however duplicants / sweeper & conveyer loader fitting inside the rocket can't seem to be able to take out food.

You can, but as you say, it cannot communicate with (un)loaders or fittings inside the rocket. Can be useful to drop it from space on another planet on the way or just as a vacuum storage if you don't wanna go through the hassle of building a freezer inside your spacefarer module. In your case, it would mean you would need to manually transport that food in fridges (in vacuum) on your new planet anyway - so not really great. We're really missing some way of automating all that right now because the un(loaders) have similar options as storage bins, but not fridges.

30 minutes ago, NeoDeusMachina said:

You can, but as you say, it cannot communicate with (un)loaders or fittings inside the rocket. Can be useful to drop it from space on another planet on the way or just as a vacuum storage if you don't wanna go through the hassle of building a freezer inside your spacefarer module. In your case, it would mean you would need to manually transport that food in fridges (in vacuum) on your new planet anyway - so not really great. We're really missing some way of automating all that right now because the un(loaders) have similar options as storage bins, but not fridges.

I will just have to go the sweep only loader inside the rocket route for now. That way I can have the food sit on a weight plate for my kitchen stuff and as soon as all the rockets land, it is instantly reachable for all dups and won't require any babysitting -  just one time sweep up a 2 million kcal worth of food and it will be good. 

Not having a way to either send food into the rocket via rail or out of the orbital cargo module automatically seems for sure like an oversight though. 

Archived