Jump to content

Tips for base building?


Recommended Posts

No, i dont mean location, i get the idea on that already, mainly prioritizing stuff you cant move, like the Swamp or the Deserts 

What i mean is the design aspect, i always seem to struggle with that and end up with bases im not.. comfortable?

Maybe a few ideas for it? like where to build what, or what put near each other, etc, that kind of stuff. 

Could also like maybe a few structure ideas, some ive seen are the Bunny/Spider farm, or the Bunny at cave entrance to deal with the Basilisk, that kind of stuff. 

This is also in part cause i just returned from a  long break from the game so im kinda new to a bunch of stuff, (like the new farming which im trying to learn a bit) i think i left somewhere around when the ocean update got released. 

Any help would be appreciated. 

If youre wondering i mainly play Wendy and Maxwell. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Uh I don't know, I'm literally covering the oasis in cobblestone (my base isn't even nearby to the Oasis) I don't think I have a clue about base design.

However maybe you can try using a variety of turf's like Rocky Cave turf (that's in the rock lobster biomes) or wilds turf or any turf.

I think rhovius has a guide on this that I would recommend.

Walls are also a good idea for spicing up your builds, like putting them in the corner or lining the roads of your base.

Try zoning your base maybe? And like planing out plots of land where future builds can go so your base doesn't feel disorganized or weird.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I usually place my storage area and drying rack area near my kitchen so that I can organize stuff while cooking / drying things.

I also place my firepit / scale furnace in a central-ish location so that I can move around and do stuff in base.

I have a spider farm (using bunnies) one / two screens away, and a honey farm near it. This is because I want to load the farms while I'm doing stuff in base. And they are good fully automatic farms for food and resources (eg. silk, glands, honey).

As for my pig fire farm / grass farm / twig farm / stonefruit farm / leafy meat farm, I usually just place them somewhere accessible and close together, so that I can gather a lot of resources in a single trip, and to save a lot of time for other things.

I also have designated tooth trap zones scattered all over the world, I have one zone 3-4 screens away from base, and other zones are usually easily accessible and in between sinkholes, so if I am unable to reach for a sinkhole, I would just run to the nearest tooth trap zone.

I also have a anti-Batilisk setup (2 enclosed bunny hutches) at the entrance to my main cave base to ease my access into the caves.

I also have a huge bunny farm (50+ bunny hutches) beside BQ so that I don't have to deal with her personally. I can totally forgo any armor and healing, and the bunnies will dish enough damage to kill her in ~4 mins. And I only need a hammer.

I'm not really huge on the aesthetics part, so I guess whatever works your fancy would do. You can even check out Jazzygames' / Rhovious' builds to see how reskins of walls and structures / items blend well with the multitude of turfs in the game. Personally I just do cobblestones for the majority of my base, and wooden floorings for the farms / tooth trap zones to prevent lureplant steals.

Glermz has a great 6000+ day base that I saw during his stream a few months back, and he has made some interesting choices (fireflies for light along the corridors, lightbugs in each designated zone / area).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, SecretPizzaMan said:

I think rhovius has a guide on this that I would recommend.

 

23 minutes ago, zacqiang said:

You can even check out Jazzygames' / Rhovious' builds to see how reskins of walls and structures / items blend well with the multitude of turfs in the game. .

Ill give them a look. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Tips for base building: Avoid letting Deerclops or Antlion Sinkholes get anywhere near it.

OTHER Tips for base building- The Summers Cawnival event added some really cool small base decorations- I actually used some to complete my tiny Graveyard looking memorial for Wendy’s Sisturn.

I plan to expand this and make it bigger eventually.. I just keep putting the project OFF hoping Klei gives me some more appropriate skins & decor for it.

DD54B7CC-4990-40D8-BB78-C7D3242129BF.thumb.png.b5ee932db38c98c9e2d6b30fe86a0e11.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Tips for base building: Avoid letting Deerclops or Antlion Sinkholes get anywhere near it.

OTHER Tips for base building- The Summers Cawnival event added some really cool small base decorations- I actually used some to complete my tiny Graveyard looking memorial for Wendy’s Sisturn.

I plan to expand this and make it bigger eventually.. I just keep putting the project OFF hoping Klei gives me some more appropriate skins & decor for it.

DD54B7CC-4990-40D8-BB78-C7D3242129BF.thumb.png.b5ee932db38c98c9e2d6b30fe86a0e11.png

Havent gotten those skins YET, but yeah i know that Deerclops is a treat, as for Antlion i usually either kill it or spent summer living has a caveman. 

Im still kinda on the fence when it comes it Wildfires, i heard most people just disable them due to how horrible they are, since they force you out of the base or to build tons of Flingos and build based on them. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Only the metal fence, and the cobblestone walls are skins I think.. everything else in this picture is just part of the games in-game events

Year of the Beefalo and Mid-Summers Cawnival, you can now exit your world and toggle back on events that have passed- so I did that to build a Beefalo hitching post & dressing tab, and all the other Cawnival stuff you see in the photo- You will need to build the Cawnival set pieces and play the mini-games to earn tickets that can be traded at the ticket booth (another structure you will need to build) there is A LOT of base customizing decorations you can get from this booth- They aren’t skins you buy, you actually have to play the Mini-Games like your at a Carnival and then trade the tickets you win in at the prize booth for them.

The TL:DR- That event brought back childhood memories of my visits to Chuck E Cheeses for obvious reasons.

You are going to defiantly want to turn that event back on! :) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  •  Install the geometric placement mod. Align structures in the center of turf tiles, walls along the edges of them. 
  •  I typically build a kitchen (salt box, ice boxes, crockpots and bird cage) surrounded by food farms, and a workshop (alchemy, shadow manipulator, think tank) surrounded by storage chests and resource farms. 
  •  Later on I like to expand with dedicated area's for a bedroom (tent, wardrobe, clothing chests, non-essential crafting stations), a garden with farming-related tools and structures, a drying rack area, and a dock for my boats.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, QuQuasar said:
  •  Install the geometric placement mod. Align structures in the center of turf tiles, walls along the edges of them. 
  •  I typically build a kitchen (salt box, ice boxes, crockpots and bird cage) surrounded by food farms, and a workshop (alchemy, shadow manipulator, think tank) surrounded by storage chests and resource farms. 
  •  Later on I like to expand with dedicated area's for a bedroom (tent, wardrobe, clothing chests, non-essential crafting stations), a garden with farming-related tools and structures, a drying rack area, and a dock for my boats.

GP is a must have, thats a fact.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

×
×
  • Create New...