Jump to content

What is the piloting attribute for?


Recommended Posts

When I hover over the piloting attribute on the select blueprint panel (new dupes from printer), I find the following description;

"Determines how long it takes a duplicant to complete a space mission" 

What is a space mission considered to be? My current guess is that it simply affects the speed at which the Rocket Control errand in the Rocket Control Station is performed.

I have not yet done much digging into rockets... does that imply that rockets travel faster? Or does it just mean that the dupe has more time for his long list of duties in space? :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Gr1n said:

When I hover over the piloting attribute on the select blueprint panel (new dupes from printer), I find the following description;

"Determines how long it takes a duplicant to complete a space mission" 

What is a space mission considered to be? My current guess is that it simply affects the speed at which the Rocket Control errand in the Rocket Control Station is performed.

I have not yet done much digging into rockets... does that imply that rockets travel faster? Or does it just mean that the dupe has more time for his long list of duties in space? :D

It takes less time for dupes to operate the rocket control station. They periodically have a piloting errand to perform in order for the rocket to move at its full speed. That task is what is affected by the piloting skill. Without a dupe to perform the task, rockets will move using auto pilot and it will move much slower (half speed iirc but others could confirm exact numbers, I could be wrong).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hey @NeoDeusMachina, thanks for your answer (second time helping me today!).

I must now investigate how often does this errand have to be performed and how long does it take for the rocket to enter autopilot when the errand is not performed or while the errand is being performed.

 

That's all the information anyone needs to assess the importance of the piloting attribute on a dupe :-)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Gr1n said:

Hey @NeoDeusMachina, thanks for your answer (second time helping me today!).

I must now investigate how often does this errand have to be performed and how long does it take for the rocket to enter autopilot when the errand is not performed or while the errand is being performed.

 

That's all the information anyone needs to assess the importance of the piloting attribute on a dupe :-)

You're welcome!

Good thing to know (from recent update):

  • Duplicants do not use the Rocket Control Station while the rocket is not travelling

This makes the life of orbital researchers much easier, as they do not need to care about having to waste time operating the control station anymore :-)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That's nice info! Although I believe you could just disallow rocketry errand and force the rocket to go on auto pilot, so you can freely research.

It's a bit of player's attention but I don't think this is a regular time consuming "player errand" :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

"My current guess is that it simply affects the speed at which the Rocket Control errand in the Rocket Control Station is performed."

Exactly. As there is nothing else to do in a rocket for a pilot (apart the orbital research which can be done by a researcher rather than a pilot), this skill is not vital. I compared pilots with 1 and 10 levels of the skill and did not find any significant difference to the rocket speed. Only time it takes for dupes to run the station. 

In the vanilla game it reduces the travel time and it was somewhat useful. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It should be made more useful than it is.  As it is, it's essentially useless at the moment.  People have done tests and there is almost no difference in travel time.  In general the game has too many useless stats as it is too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, durbal said:

It should be made more useful than it is.  As it is, it's essentially useless at the moment.  People have done tests and there is almost no difference in travel time.  In general the game has too many useless stats as it is too.

Tbh I'm much more annoyed by lack of use for skill points after certain amount then poor rocket piloting skill :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

×
  • Create New...