Liquid Palantiri

In sandbox, I discovered an amusing behavior of falling liquids above or below their critical points (freezing, vaporization) while in a vacuum. If the liquid happens to fall into a unit column (1-tile wide cup), the liquid will magically hover just above the opening with vacuum on all sides, avoiding a phase change!  Recall that a phase change requires a thermal interaction to trigger the phase change. See the amusing examples below.

Example 1. Liquid magma at 0 C (below its freezing point).

orb-of-wrath.thumb.gif.2f6eb243b00f012e8e7b419e3b967346.gif

Example 2. Liquid p-water at 200 C (above its vaporization point). Although I could not upload the full gif due to file size constraints, the sublimation of polluted-oxygen will trigger a steam explosion and the formation of dirt debris.

orb-of-wrath-pwater.thumb.gif.0d56c3f7e28a3a62a6346a990bbe5348.gif

Due to their shape as an orb and their capacity to foresee and avoid its own phase change, I have elected to call these liquid palantiri. For the structure below, I call it a cup.

Properties. I have explored some properties of palantiri with some members on the Discord already including @sakura_sk and Ishamoridin (if I can find your tag). Some interesting behaviors include:

• if the cup is widened, the palantiri will fall to the ground and phase change normally;
  • if the cup is deepened, the palantiri will hover just above the opening;
  • if the game is saved/loaded, the palantiri will load as phase changed (e.g. the frozen magma loads as an igneous tile).

Enjoy!

8 hours ago, hydrotoast said:

if the cup is widened, the palantiri will fall to the ground and phase change normally

Unless the tiles are airflow tiles:rolleyes:

It's not a palantiri anymore though... More like a hovering totally unstable puddle 

image.png.1720f5a1eb1ebe5286063feb56372775.png image.png.4928f5e68b7edf6e33fc2497d88be761.png

11 hours ago, kbn said:

By reducing the mass of the hovering liquid, it can be made almost invisible.

That`s super annoying if you happen to have airflow tiles in the base and spill some water on them, for example some melted ice falls on them. It`s invisible and keeps causing soggy feet.

On 9/3/2021 at 1:30 AM, kbn said:

By reducing the mass of the hovering liquid, it can be made almost invisible.
I used to play with flying Pacu by placing this invisible liquid.:-D

These are very interesting results! Since we discovered this after mergedown, we were wondering whether the behavior was new or preexisting. Your post shows that this behavior has existed for a while.

For applying this mechanic to heating/cooling, I was exploring this because of how Petroleum Generators output polluted-water at the temperature of the building, which can be below the freezing point or above the vaporization point of polluted-water. Since the phase change does not occur until the output element thermally interacts with another object, I was looking into methods of thermally isolating all of the outputs of the Petroleum Generator such that the building never interacts with its hot output elements. I believe that your Aerial waterway design provides some new options to separate the hot CO2 and polluted-water, e.g. creating an ephemeral, diagonal liquid lock over a building. (I realized this may be impossible given the temperature interactions after writing it).

On 9/4/2021 at 3:51 AM, Sasza22 said:

That`s super annoying if you happen to have airflow tiles in the base and spill some water on them, for example some melted ice falls on them. It`s invisible and keeps causing soggy feet.

The bases of solar panels do the same invisible-small-quantities-of-liquid thing as airflow tiles, which was EXTREMELY confusing the one time I tried to heat-control a solar power array by running cooling pipes through said small quantities of liquid.

Archived