Idea

I propose that each planetoid have its own gravity which affects the possible atmospheres. For example, since the first planetoid is so large it could be able to hold all gases in its atmosphere except for hydrogen because its so light. Basically, other gases would be able to inhabit the space exposure section of the map without being deleted. This gravity would be different for each planetoid and the later game, smaller planetoids would hold only the heaviest gases if any at all. The gases would of course not be able to cross the upper limit of the map.

Why

An atmosphere system would add a thoroughly interesting and somewhat realistic layer to the game. For example, planetoids with heavier gravity could allow for an entire oxygen atmosphere - a perfectly achievable goal for the endgame - while later game planetoids wouldn't be as forgiving and would add another layer of difficulty progression to the game. 

How it fits

It is clear that the planetoids our duplicants inhabit do posses some form of gravity as solids and liquids fall toward the bottom of the world and a considerable acceleration. I bring up this point because the planetoids may be considered by some to be too small to hold gases, yet clearly strong enough gravity exists in the worlds so I do not believe it would be violating the science of the game to have certain planetoids be capable of holding onto certain heavy gases.

Downsides

I do not know what this would do for the performance of the game. Perhaps space is a necessary component as is for the game to run properly. Please tell me any suggestion you may have.

I was thinking of something similar. It would basically require the space exposured part of the map to be "atmosphere exposured" so that it refills the top with the wanted gas or simply allow the gases to occupy the top part. Might be an interesting thing to try but creates a few problems:

1. No space exposure would mean telescopes won`t work - it`s not a problem outside the main planetoid but means you couldn`t have an atmosphere on your starting planetoid.

2. Eventually the top will be filled with hydrogen - since gasses move up and down only a hydrogen atmosphere will last. Other types will sink into the planetoid and be replaced by random hydrogen that always appears out of somewhere. It could be fixed by removing other (non atmospheric) gasses in the upper layers and replacing them with the intended ones. Would work like the current system but instead of replacing the gas with vacuum it would replace it with oxygen or whatever the atmosphere is on that planetoid.

Performance wise it shouldn`t be too bad. It`s just a large open area full of gas. People create bigger ones in their bases.

if you collect all materials of the biggest asteroid and measure the total mass, you will realize that the gravity of the biggest asteroid is negligible and definitely not capable to hold ANY gas from escaping without a cap rock. let's put it this way the mass will be much smaller than moon mass which has no gases. Even the earth looses a lot of gases every minute. Let's imagine they are not asteroids (as described in the game) but planets and they have very heavy core which creates the mass equal to earth mass, even then all these small amount of gasses you have (count the space biome tiles), will escape in a matter of minutes. 

Yes, the dropping speed of materials should be much less on the asteroid also. gt^2/2=h; but many slowly moving items will create higher processing load (dynamic calculation) so ONI is not very realistic but very playable.

Also the top vacuum layer presented in the game play has a very important role in the game. It is a sink tank for many extra unneeded resources, rocket exhausts, heat management etc. 

I do not need to mention that CO2 or steam rockets will be not available in the game as they would not take off in a high gravity world.

You can replicate your idea in the sandbox; just cover the vacuum tiles with backwalls. So you will loose vacuum in the space biome and only upper part will be opened for gases to very slowly migrate. And then try to use rockets - petrol, hydrogen and you will find some interesting effects you may not want to have in the game 

Spoiler

overheating the gas layer from rocket landing and take off - global warming - "the greens" will not be happy.

Archived