Suggested improvements to mutant seeds, interplanetary shipping, and meter valves

Sleet wheat as both a seed and a food causes all kinds of problems. You can't just store it and forget about it, you have to deal with mutant seeds getting into your food production bins. This is all kinds of hellish to deal with and could be solved by allowing refrigerators, perhaps conveyor loaders, and much less importantly storage bins, to include or exclude specific mutant varieties, or at least mutant varieties in general.

It would be helpful to have an "empty storage" button on the interplanetary shipping station. It's not super-easy to get exact amounts of things in there, and when you end up with an odd amount it's difficult to plan shipping in a sensible way, and it's a pain to have to deconstruct the station to get stuff out.

For instance if I have 183.5 kilograms of stuff in there, which is easy to do if you are moving, for example oxylite, it's hard to top off the load with food, and you end up with a tiny bit that sits in there and rots, and this problem can pretty much never correct itself.

Finally, please increase the meter valve limit to something useful. 500kg is just not enough. Trying to fill up a 2x3 tile area with water ends up being an annoying problem, and this could just be dirt simple. Maybe this could be solved with current functionality with a signal counter, but why should this be necessary?

edit:

One other thing. The "food has decayed" message every time an "exuberant" crop is harvested is very annoying. That message should indicate a problem.

I do support. 

Mutant seeds should be somehow identified as another objects; so you do not accidentally feed them to fishes, or cook them. It is also hard to move them from one planet to another as you will move all seeds of the plant (mutated and unmutated) as you cannot differentiate them in the bin.

I would suggest to put them into separate category or industrial rather than seeds.

Also I would suggest one simple thing - mutant seeds cannot be feed to fishes and cannot be cooked but can be composted (as this one is done manually) to destroy them if one wishes that.

I am trying even to avoid mutant seeds on some asteroids as it creates more hassles. Like I wanted to make a simple pip planted farm with normal seeds. I brought seeds of this plant to the bin - 1200 of them were unmutated and only 20 were mutated. So I figured out that odds are low that pips will plant mutated seeds. But these guys planted all mutated seeds leaving unmutated on the ground. So I had to unroot them, build unfunctional farm and plant them to separate from unmutated ones. 

I usually have some percent of food got rotten in the interplanetary launcher or the conveyor rails. I tried to use the meter but it did not help. So I am shifting from the big variety of food we have in the game to only berry sludge.

Meter limits are also small; probably it is intentional to make more complex logic schemes - with counter, memory, etc.

There are generally so many warning messages that they become useless, you simply stop paying attention to them. I finally do not see this annoying "long commute" message, it was either removed by Klei or I loaded a mod to remove it.

I have a suggestion like you have for resources. New warning comes and you see it, when you click it and see the problem it goes to archive (which you can open and you will see all the warnings active currently) but you will have only new warnings displayed and an archive button. Similar to resources architecture which is VERY convenient. Only animals are missing.

For instance now I have 6 messages - all useless.

Building is buried - yes, I know, there is a bug (reported) so I cannot connect my robodrill to the electrical system. Till the bug is fixed I have to see the message or disassemble robodrill and then assemble later.

Buildings are damaged (24 of them) yes, I know they are ladders that were bombarded by meteors but they still are functional and I switched off auto repair. So if something important gets damaged I will not pay attention; when the number is changed from 24 to 25 I most likely will not catch it.

Building is overheated (ok, one hardly used pneumatic door got overheated but still works and I have no intention to fix it in the near future, much later I will replace it will steel).

Buildings are missing resources (89 of them), of course some of the buildings will always be in the stand by mode (payload opener, artifact station, etc.) so I will always see the message.

And my favorite after the long commute - not enough oxygen generated. As it compares only one cycle (production vs consumption) and there are fluctuations (dupes moving between asteroids, vents regimes, etc.) it is half of the time ON.

On 8/7/2021 at 9:15 PM, brucemo said:

It would be helpful to have an "empty storage" button on the interplanetary shipping station. It's not super-easy to get exact amounts of things in there, and when you end up with an odd amount it's difficult to plan shipping in a sensible way, and it's a pain to have to deconstruct the station to get stuff out.

We've been asking for emptying storage on the payload opener since Feb with no luck.  Hope you fare better with your request.

On 8/7/2021 at 9:15 PM, brucemo said:

Finally, please increase the meter valve limit to something useful. 500kg is just not enough. Trying to fill up a 2x3 tile area with water ends up being an annoying problem, and this could just be dirt simple. Maybe this could be solved with current functionality with a signal counter, but why should this be necessary?

I agree about liquid meters, and would like them to have some relation to the reservoirs, such as 1:2 or 1:1, instead of the current 1:10 ratio.  The gas meter, on the other hand, has a 3.33:1 ratio to it's reservoir.  I think they intended for meter valves to be primarily used for rocket engines and cargo, and any other utilitarian use is our problem.

Archived