Feedback for Orbital Cargo Module

1. Orbital Cargo Module's description only says that module can deliver resources to the target, it says nothing about method of delivery. That's the kind of info player will want to know before launching rocket. If I knew how Orbital Cargo Module works before launching it, I would have dropped extra rover first to close all holes and clear paths.

2. Orbital Cargo Module currently has a capacity of 6t and acts like normal storage. It's fine for delivering things needed in bulk, but if you plan to deliver 800kg of refined metal, 800kg of glass, 800kg of sand and small quantities of other materials/foods, it immediately becomes inconvenient. Ex: I set up multiple storages, filled storages, then locked a dupe alone with the storages and a rocket.

Also feels like crafting station should be making empty payload casings (reusable) for Orbital Cargo Module to use, destroying module in such case will return packed payloads. Or perhaps there should be a packaging station, to pack 200kg of materials into bullets, this might sidestep most inconveniences with module acting as a storage.

3. I clicked 'deploy' button multiple times with nothing happening. It might be pause's fault, in such case button should have became disabled or indicated 'in progress/cancel' in some way, or my subsequent click onto planet finalized the deployment, in such case button should have indicated to chose target.

P.S. After deploying payload rocket seemed to be as fast as when delivering it (night be wrong, so far deployed a single payload). Suggestion: when payload was fired off, increase speed/decrease burden for return trip or the opposite - add burden per kg of content like with cargo modules. 

8 hours ago, AndreyKl said:

1. Orbital Cargo Module's description only says that module can deliver resources to the target, it says nothing about method of delivery.

A better description is needed for all modules. People get confused all the time to how to load the stuff in.

feels like crafting station should be making empty payload casings (reusable) for Orbital Cargo Module to use, destroying module in such case will return packed payloads. Or perhaps there should be a packaging station, to pack 200kg of materials into bullets, this might sidestep most inconveniences with module acting as a storage.

If we had a station allowing us to encase stuff in those "bullets" and queue making them it would help for sure. It would also help with the interplanetary launcher allowing for easier control how much stuff you send.

3. I clicked 'deploy' button multiple times with nothing happening.

The orbital payload module you can safely use the round trip option (if you don`t plan to drop a rover or trailblazer as well). It will drop off the payload and instantly return home.

One more issue with orbital cargo: when rocket returns and lands, orbital cargo immediately re-requests resources, not harmful since you can get those back, but a bit annoying unless you are trying to deliver something like oxylite or food (it stole my whole stash of medicines).

While using orbital cargo is magnitude faster than cargo bay (due to not needing to wait for unload) I seriously doubt anybody will actually deploy it regularly due to unpacking time. So I feel like scheduling payload should be either one-time only thing or be toggleable to be one-time (unless some kind of packaging station will be responsible for scheduling payloads).

Archived