Jump to content

Anyone else love geothermal power?


Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, melquiades said:

I stopped trying that because magma either became tiles or it receded and stopped touching the transfer surface.

It's fine if they become tiles. They are still 1000+ C and can transfer heat from surrounding magma. Also I have never had the magma recede. You must have done something wrong if that happens.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Padishar said:

Before meoters were removed making solar panels that powerful, I usually used the core magna heat to power my entire base in the mid-game. 

there is nowhere typed that they removed meteors, its a Bug

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes, I love geothermal power.

But I tend to not build anything bigger than 1 kW and I use it as a sort of baseload. I may or may not have Smart Batteries depending on how much intermittent power the grid has.
In my latest Spaced Out game I build the smallest Geothermal powerplant I've ever built:
tinytherm.thumb.jpg.00421f51c549131edb9b8fd2f2d6bb73.jpg

It provides power for the oily asteroid. All I need is enough power to run 1 Oil Well, so I have the steam temperature set to 130 C to generate about 300 W peak, though it only runs at 45% uptime because I don't need the full output of 1 Oil Well. Because it runs so cool all I had to import to build it was 200 plastic and 200 copper.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Interesting to see so many direct core taps, I find pumping the magma is by far the most convenient and efficient method, as it allows easier transport and prevents heat being stuck and/or lost in the igneous rock. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Hjoyn said:

Interesting to see so many direct core taps, I find pumping the magma is by far the most convenient and efficient method, as it allows easier transport and prevents heat being stuck and/or lost in the igneous rock. 

Pumping is technically great but especially if you're referring to Valving it to 1000 g/s so it doesn't break pipes I find that absolutely abhorrent, I'm pretty tolerant of Valving between the liquid/gas temperatures because even though pumping liquids and gases is not exactly the same there is some sense to it, including IRL the idea of supercritical state of matter where liquid and gas gets blurred. But pumping solid rigid matter through a liquid pipe makes zero sense and furthermore unlike something like liquid locks which also don't make much sense, Valving to avoid freezing doesn't really solve a problem that isn't readily solved in other ways, like if you want to maintain a clean vacuum (without going insane working with pump evacuated locks + Dupe AI) you must use a liquid lock, if you want to efficiently extract heat from magma you certainly don't need to pump it (there are lots of other instances where I won't use an exploit if there's a fair alternative, like there's an exploit where you don't have to pay (much) power to run an Aquatuner, like 99% of the power cost can be eliminated, but it's fairly easy to produce power so there's no sense in using that exploit even though it's technically superior).

A well designed magma-tap can extract nearly all the available energy (at least down to 300 C or so) and a properly designed magma blade design can also extract 100% of the debris instead of losing 50% to mining if for some reason you want all the debris. There's also the factor that a design only needs to last as long as you need or want it to: I generally don't plan to play a colony for more than 1000 cycles so I just don't care if a system is going to run out of heat after 1000 cycles, and even if I did it'd be totally trivial to build a replacement power system.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, blakemw said:

Pumping is technically great but especially if you're referring to Valving it to 1000 g/s so it doesn't break pipes I find that absolutely abhorrent, I'm pretty tolerant of Valving between the liquid/gas temperatures because even though pumping liquids and gases is not exactly the same there is some sense to it, including IRL the idea of supercritical state of matter where liquid and gas gets blurred. But pumping solid rigid matter through a liquid pipe makes zero sense and furthermore unlike something like liquid locks which also don't make much sense, Valving to avoid freezing doesn't really solve a problem that isn't readily solved in other ways, like if you want to maintain a clean vacuum (without going insane working with pump evacuated locks + Dupe AI) you must use a liquid lock, if you want to efficiently extract heat from magma you certainly don't need to pump it (there are lots of other instances where I won't use an exploit if there's a fair alternative, like there's an exploit where you don't have to pay (much) power to run an Aquatuner, like 99% of the power cost can be eliminated, but it's fairly easy to produce power so there's no sense in using that exploit even though it's technically superior).

A well designed magma-tap can extract nearly all the available energy (at least down to 300 C or so) and a properly designed magma blade design can also extract 100% of the debris instead of losing 50% to mining if for some reason you want all the debris. There's also the factor that a design only needs to last as long as you need or want it to: I generally don't plan to play a colony for more than 1000 cycles so I just don't care if a system is going to run out of heat after 1000 cycles, and even if I did it'd be totally trivial to build a replacement power system.

You don't have to use 1kg/s packets if you don't want to, magma is just fine at 10kg/s, and indeed you can easily build an infinite storage waterfall for use with a 10kg/s pump for magma. Going down to 300° is not only impractical for purposes like petroleum boilers, but still represents a loss of energy to mining debris, in addition to the difficulty of getting down to that temperature over a large area. Pumping allows you to compress the entire core into an easily accessible and compact storage for use in whatever manner you wish, just by running pipes of magma around. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/4/2021 at 2:42 AM, gabberworld said:

there is nowhere typed that they removed meteors, its a Bug

I don't think it's a bug.  The whole point of this expansion is to speed up space exploration.  If the meteors returned, it would require steel production before you could move to the third planet.

I hope that they bring meteors back on a distant planet, but they seem to be doing final passes and polish at this point.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, dacio_ultanca said:

I don't think it's a bug.  The whole point of this expansion is to speed up space exploration.  If the meteors returned, it would require steel production before you could move to the third planet.

I hope that they bring meteors back on a distant planet, but they seem to be doing final passes and polish at this point.

after merge at base game it not work anymore. soo yes its a bug

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

×
×
  • Create New...