Cartographic module purpose ?

I'm wondering if anyone has some knowledge about how you use the cartographic module on a rocket. I built a radbolt rocket with a trailblazer module, an orbital cargo module, and the cartographic module. My plan was to drop a trailblazer plus supplies on a new planet, and then so some scouting in the area. 

I had 2 dupes in the rocket. One got dropped to the planet to build a rocket pad, the other stayed in the capsule and I left the rocket in orbit. But after several cycles no new tiles had been explored. I gave up and built a telescope on the surface and did the scouting of the region that way. 

It really seemed the cartographic module did nothing. There is no clear info about how it works though. Any insight out there?

1 hour ago, ChrisPBacon000 said:

But after several cycles no new tiles had been explored.

The cartographic module lets you travel to undiscovered hexes and "discovers" them when you travel there. It doesn't discover new hexes like the telescope does.

43 minutes ago, sakura_sk said:

The cartographic module lets you travel to undiscovered hexes and "discovers" them when you travel there. It doesn't discover new hexes like the telescope does.

My cartographic module do not work too

Thank you for the explanation

3 hours ago, sakura_sk said:

That seems... Pointless. Do rockets not normally reveal the hex you travel to as you move through unexplored spaces?

It really needs to analyze stuff in a range around the rocket. Exploring with the current funcionallity would take forever if the ever disable putting a telescope inside the command module. No real reason to use it over a telescope inside in it`s current form.

Archived