Hi, I wanted to share some of my thoughts on improving the in game wiki. I know most users do not use the in game wiki, but I personally do not like googling everything. I also think that the in game wiki is a nice way to look something very simple up at a glance. It is also where most new players will look up the mechanics of the game. So having said that, here are some suggestions I think would improve the wiki without too much work.

• Temperature of all outputs, many outputs are dependent on the temperature of the input, I think this could be stated as liquid water at input temperature or liquid water at 20 degrees above input temperature with a max of 75 degrees or something like this it is a bit wordy, but It would be nice to know how hot the outputs are going to be.
  • Dimensions of buildings would be very helpful, I'm not a new user, but I always forget how big plastic beds are, or how big steam turbines are, which means I ether have to wait until I can place the blue print or look it up on the external wiki. It would be nice to just list the dimensions in the in game wiki.
  • number, type, heat and requirement for all inputs and outputs
    • for instance, the steam turbine would have something like : liquid water output via pipe @ 95 degrees clearly stating the temperature state and element required, also stating the pipe requirements.
    • for buildings that can intake different kinds of inputs it should state this perhaps something like: any liquid via pipe, or
  • water should either refer to non-polluted water, and another term for both polluted and non-polluted water be created, or non-polluted water should replace the term water when applicable. for instance, the Electrolyzer should state that it requires non-polluted water as opposed to just requiring water. This will fix many of the vagueness of what type of water buildings like the bathroom, sink and electrolyzer require.
  • Likewise, some terminology, as stated above, like water is used in different ways to describe several different things, it can be very confusing to have a lack of clear terminology.
  • Some items do not state that they require inputs when they do, the ice maker is one of these buildings. Id does not state it requires water ( I think this is just an oversight, perhaps they thought it was obvious, but I think the fantastical elements of the game might make some users think that it might not be required.)
  • If a building does not require power I would suggest adding that to the wiki, something like does not require power.
  • The oxygen mask station does not state it needs to be submerged in oxygen, only that it will refill the mask automatically when not in use.
  • Add heat creep and some ideas to mitigate it to the heat mechanics page of the wiki. Mentioning the ice makers to move the heat is a good start but it would be helpful if the wiki could provide some assistance with learning to to delete heat.
  • general layout standardization, many of the in game wiki pages do not have a standard layout, some have information like over heat temps, others do not, ( yes many of them do not have over heat temperatures, but that is good information that should be included ).
  • The printing pod page looks like a work in progress, I assume it is, but if not it could use an update.
  • I would love to see the components a building requires in the wiki, for instance letting the player know via the wiki that they will require 900kg of steel before they start powering through to steam engines would let the player plan out what they need in advance, maybe they want to get their metal refinery up first, this might also push players to have more balance in their research.
  • The crafting station page is laid out very well, I would love to see the recipes a building has in the wiki itself, as opposed to having to build it first.

I really think the wiki deserves some love, or at the very least a pass at standardizing the information. But I know it might be a lot to ask for. Good luck.

First of.. It's not a "wiki" but a in-game database.

5 hours ago, neumonics said:

The oxygen mask station does not state it needs to be submerged in oxygen, only that it will refill the mask automatically when not in use.

There is no "oxygen mask station" any more, only oxygen mask dock and check point.

water should either refer to non-polluted water, and another term for both polluted and non-polluted water be created, or non-polluted water should replace the term water when applicable. for instance, the Electrolyzer should state that it requires non-polluted water as opposed to just requiring water. This will fix many of the vagueness of what type of water buildings like the bathroom, sink and electrolyzer require.

That ... is even more confusing. I haven't checked every entry but I think when "water" is mentioned, it is the element "water (liquid)" and when clicked, it redirects to the respective database entry. 

Likewise, some terminology, as stated above, like water is used in different ways to describe several different things, it can be very confusing to have a lack of clear terminology.

For example?

I think the description of water, polluted water, salt water, brine, makes clear what each one is

image.png.a23252adb2c89ef0304f7e8d2eeab491.pngimage.png.f9bfce0fb2acc372d1e7a74c7b4f2cca.pngimage.png.0c51d7e36e1f97097a316f8217b76030.pngimage.png.ec234045764d8dcf6a6890b2fe314b03.png 

they will require 900kg of steel before they start powering through to steam engines

900? You mean 2000kg steel :rolleyes:  (900kg of steam)

I think if a building needs one specific material, it could be mentioned in the database, otherwise it would be confusing if a general "raw mineral" or "metal ore" is put below every building description.

(Also, rockets in DLC don't seem to have any entries at all. I just noticed... :D)

As for the rocket modules i have a feeling they will get some balance and material tweaks. Currently the vanilla modules still need steel while the dlc ones use refined metal. They better get this sorted out first before they start adding it to the database.

Archived