What does rocket piloting II skill do?

Yes it makes them complete their regularly scheduled piloting task at the control station much faster.

I find it useful when they are running out of air and having trouble holding their breath long enough to pilot...

Also when they have better things to do, like orbital research. But then in that case i usually disable the control station so it just flies on autopilot anyway...

So long story short - not that useful, really. Probably not worth the -2 or -3 morale. While i really don't like my pilots failing to steer while suffocating to death... these days i just relocate the rocket control station to the top of the chamber where all the oxygen is.

Yeah it's the most useless attribute, and sadly gates exosuit training which basically every dupe will eventually get.

It would be nice to see the pilot attribute removed and just replace those tiers with flat science and athletics buffs, or a rework of the skill to marginally decrease travel time. 

On 6/6/2021 at 4:26 PM, Rotintin said:

or a rework of the skill to marginally decrease travel time. 

I think this makes the most sense.  10% decrease in travel time for the first tier, 20% for the second tier.

The gating of the suit wearing behind piloting wouldn't be as much of an issue if the skill were useful, but still doesn't make much sense.  I wouldn't mind the reverse (piloting behind suit wearing) like in the base game, but I assume the idea is to make it an early skill so space is more accessible in the DLC. Still making piloting a second tier skill behind the first tier of suit wearing wouldn't be too bad.  Right now it's easier to learn to fly a spaceship than to wrangle critters.

2 hours ago, ghkbrew said:

I think this makes the most sense.  10% decrease in travel time for the first tier, 20% for the second tier.

I think 20% boost as a lvl20 pilot would be good, but flat bonuses take away from duplicant progression. It's a nice reward when your dupes improve their skills over time (looking at you ranching :-?) and start to excel in certain areas.

2 hours ago, ghkbrew said:

The gating of the suit wearing behind piloting wouldn't be as much of an issue if the skill were useful, but still doesn't make much sense.  I wouldn't mind the reverse (piloting behind suit wearing) like in the base game, but I assume the idea is to make it an early skill so space is more accessible in the DLC. Still making piloting a second tier skill behind the first tier of suit wearing wouldn't be too bad.  Right now it's easier to learn to fly a spaceship than to wrangle critters.

It does seem absurd dupes can fly rockets before wrangling critters, but ranching is very powerful and early game rockets enable several strategies/gameplay elements. Recently, I rushed off the starting planet to the radiated forest- ton of fun, highly recommend.

Another balance aspect to keep in mind is that orbital researchers also have to pilot, and a two moral increase to that job can make it a lot harder to do without stress reactions for some players. Not the worst, just another factor to consider.

I think the main problem is the one dimensional perk. Getting an additional stat boost to science(+2), athletics(+2), or both (+1/+1) would be good for any duplicant, especially early game. 

Archived