Heat-based food production

One thing I love about ONI is that it allows you to solve your problems using in-game physics. Need ice? You can use the machine OR put water in some cold space. Need petroleum? Again - machine or physics. It is super cool idea that rewards advanced players with cool contraptions they can make without denying playability for those, who just start playing the game.

Another thing I like in the game is ever-hungry, ever-angry sap tree. Really nice idea for renewable resin source, fitting in ONI style of cartoony world. But do you know what this tree needs? Food. More food. Always more food. You can hire army of chefs, but the tree will never have enough. And lets be honest - you can't afford whole army of chefs, when the tree eats all the food.

So, maybe we should have option to use cool thing #1 to feed cool thing #2? Some food could transition to other when exposed to right temperature. This should be easy to implement as we already can treat raw eggs like this. So why not to expand the idea to other things that can be grilled? Not to make things OP, above specific temperatures all food could turn to CO2 (or coal, depending if you want punish players for sloppy designs or open yet another option for problem-solving).

That would allow players to automate food production (or at least some part of it), we could have more nice designs, more fun with the game and more food for those who need big amounts of resin.

Yes, I know there is "Cook With Heat" mod. No, the idea is not mine, I got it from the mod. Yes, I like it so much I think it deserves highest recognition - being added to the game as base feature.

On 5/16/2021 at 5:04 AM, kezat said:

I agree, though like you say it would have to be more complex then just heat to a temp and done, would make cooking skill useless if that was the case.

You would still need cooking. Early game you don't have tech to properly control temperature, late game - you would need it to make high-quality food. You can put meat on grill to grill it without anybody looking, but you can't leave wheat on its own and expect it turned into burgers.

Also - this system is alredy present in the game for raw eggs and it doesn't make cooking obsolete 

I could see this working with a few food types but not really more then that. Fish, meat, eggs, and spindly grubfruit are the only ones that come to mind. Also rather then coal if you overcook or burn the food I would say very small amounts of refined carbon. Something that can't be used for power and something that for the most part is not very useful.

4 minutes ago, crbd115 said:

I could see this working with a few food types but not really more then that. Fish, meat, eggs, and spindly grubfruit are the only ones that come to mind

Dusk Caps and Berries too

Archived