Why aren't all the hair_front animations working?

Apparently this has been a long-standing issue and it's been limiting mod-makers.  There are some animations (as common as insanity_idle) where the hair_front isn't animated correctly.  It locks in place and doesn't move and it's super obvious....

Should we assume this will never be fixed?  I was recommended to give up hope, and to never use hair_front because modders believe it will never be fixed..

1 hour ago, FurryEskimo said:

Apparently this has been a long-standing issue and it's been limiting mod-makers.  There are some animations (as common as insanity_idle) where the hair_front isn't animated correctly.  It locks in place and doesn't move and it's super obvious....

Should we assume this will never be fixed?  I was recommended to give up hope, and to never use hair_front because modders believe it will never be fixed..

I think its safe to say hair_front is deprecated and unused now.

I know theres another symbol thatd be better to use, Wendy's supernatural skin uses it, her hair covering her face. But I forgot what it was called... swap_face I think? 

@FurryEskimo

image.png.3c5a24b552b4c3127d2aa8f73a0f7656.png

okay yeah i'm correct! It's named swap_face. Swap_face isn't in the extended character template sadly so you'll have to make it yourself. Just make a folder named "swap_face" in your characters export folder, make your images in the folder, and open spriter and drag the images into the animation, export and it should show up on your character in-game. It'll probably be offset which is fine, just play with the pivot points of the symbols to get the positioning right.

@Hornete
I’ll give it a try.  Quick question though, do you know why the game fails to generate the animation file if you remove or make totally transparent one of the body parts?  This more advanced body file has all sorts of special parts, but removing them just seems to cause errors..

20 hours ago, FurryEskimo said:

@Hornete
I’ll give it a try.  Quick question though, do you know why the game fails to generate the animation file if you remove or make totally transparent one of the body parts?  This more advanced body file has all sorts of special parts, but removing them just seems to cause errors..

Yes, the scml is trying to load in these images so you need to remove the references to the images in the scml before removing the images themselves. If you just remove the images the compiler sees theres references in the scml to those missing images, but since it can't find the images, it has an error.

@Hornete
Yeah, that’s what I though.  I’ll try again I guess.

I’ve been looking around for answers and I think Spriter may be remembering the images, so it still expects to find them.  I’m still investigating, but this forum seems to think you can remove the Spriter file from the project file to make it reset.
https://brashmonkey.com/forum/index.php?/topic/4760-deletingmoving-images-form-the-project/

@Hornete
Hello again,

I’ve been trying to do as you and others advised but it hasn’t worked..  I went into the Spriter file, deleted the Beard, swap_hair, and a few others, then removed the images themselves from the Spriter folder, and it didn’t generate the anim file.  If I remove the images from only the Spriter file the visual in-game appears as though I changed nothing.

I’ve tried using the Hide code to make these sprites disappear, but only some disappeared, and all the sprites appear on the character select screen (with their heads).

I hope I’m not bothering you, I’d just like to figure this out and I’m doing my best to follow the available guides.

Archived