Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

brootsquarred

Wes: The Helpful Catastrophy

I loved the new Wes short that came out with his refresh. I especially enjoyed the idea that his bad luck secretly brings good luck to everyone around him. So I thought: wouldn't it be great if Wes worked like that in the game?

Now Wes just had a refresh, so that boat has sailed, and I don't pretend to have the knowledge to make a mod like that.

So just for the fun of it, here is a list of teamwork perks that would make Wes helpful to the other survivors even as calamity keeps striking him:

• Wilson - Meat effigies built by Wes resurrect Wilson instead. Wes is still the one who pays the max HP cost.
  • Willow - When Willow gets nervous and Wes is near her, she will set Wes on fire instead of a random patch of ground.
  • Wolfgang - When Wolfgang transforms into a stronger form while next to Wes, he deals AoE damage around him to enemies and to Wes.
  • Wendy - While Abigail is summoned and Wes is a ghost, neither of them drains other players' Sanity.
  • WX-78 - If Wes is struck by lightning while near WX-78, the charge transfers to WX-78 without damaging WX-78's Sanity.
  • Wickerbottom - When Wes sleeps near Wickerbottoms, he gets nightmares while she becomes inexplicably zen. Any Sanity or Health that Wes would regain by sleeping is gained by Wickerbottoms instead.
  • Woodie - Tree monsters prioritize Wes over other targets.
  • Maxwell - While next to Wes, Maxwell's natural Sanity regeneration becomes inverted, turning into an equal amount of Sanity degeneration.
  • Wigfrid - Eating a vegetable near Wigfrid has a chance to spawn Batilisks that attack Wes.
  • Webber - Catcoons attack Wes on sight, prioritizing him over other characters.
  • Warly - When Wes uses a Crock Pot near Warly, Wes has a chance to catch fire but also turn whatever he was cooking into "B.B.Q.'d Wes", a unique meal that anyone who is not Wes can enjoy.
  • Wormwood - When a burning character approaches Wes, the burning effect is transferred to him.
  • Winona - When Wes touches an empty generator he is zapped by it, losing some health and giving a small amount of power to the generator.
  • Wortox - When a soul overload occurs while Wes is near, the souls spill onto Wes, transferring all the negative effects to him.
  • Wurt - While Wes is wearing a clever disguise, Pigs will attack him on sight, prioritizing him over other characters.
  • Walter - Bees always target Wes over Walter.

Some characters are harder to create good teamwork effects for but you get the idea!

Anyone who wants to jump in and add more ideas to make Wes' bad luck benefit others is welcome!

2 hours ago, gaymime said:

this list of "suggestions" is not viable. all it does is openly abuse people who'd dare to play wes and encourage other players to try and kill wes players on sight through game mechanics. there is no incentive to play a character that is not allowed to survive even a single day in a group setting(or in a private setting without serious game modifications) and who is openly targeted for PVP in non PVP games. this also fosters open hostility and abuse against people who associate with the character as this gives aggressive and abusive people an excuse to justify harrassment and harm against real living breathing people.

I mostly play Don't Starve cooperatively with friends, so the whole harassment angle never even occurred to me.

I still think Wes could have interesting interactions where he pays a price to help others. I guess they would just all need to be initiated by Wes himself to prevent other players from "farming" his mechanics sociopath style.

The perks suggested would just not work (Also Willow’s random fire was removed years ago from DST).

There is no need to add more nerfs specifically to Wes honestly.

What could work instead, is if all characters got a tiny boost to their perks while being next to Wes, and Wes gets no change at all:

- Being next to Maxwell increases maxwell’s sanity regen to 7.7

- Being next to big “Bernie!” Makes the bear take 10% less damage

- Being next to Winona allows her to keep fast crafting even if she doesn’t meet the food requirement.

etc.

He’d be like a welcomed lucky charm for them (even though he’d still suck).

On 4/24/2021 at 4:46 AM, Cheggf said:

How are these helpful for the person who isn't Wes? Most of these are just "Wes takes damage for no reason lol".

The point of the ideas was to start from a character's disadvantage and try to mitigate it somehow.

Wickerbottom can't sleep so he had a way to grant her the benefits of sleeping.

Maxwell has a hard time remaining insane long enough to farm nightmares so Wes could trigger his insanity on demand.

Wigfrid can't eat vegetables so Wes could spawn a source of meat for her.

etc.

Some disadvantage aren't things other players can have a lot of impact over (like Woody spawning more treeguards or Wormwood burning longer) so I had trouble coming up with something all that useful there.

10 hours ago, ShadowDuelist said:

The perks suggested would just not work (Also Willow’s random fire was removed years ago from DST).

There is no need to add more nerfs specifically to Wes honestly.

What could work instead, is if all characters got a tiny boost to their perks while being next to Wes, and Wes gets no change at all:

- Being next to Maxwell increases maxwell’s sanity regen to 7.7

- Being next to big “Bernie!” Makes the bear take 10% less damage

- Being next to Winona allows her to keep fast crafting even if she doesn’t meet the food requirement.

etc.

He’d be like a welcomed lucky charm for them (even though he’d still suck).

I like this idea. I was trying to replicate the thing in the Wes short where every bad luck that befalls him is directly the reason why something good happens to someone else, but within the context of a game that needs to maintain a certain balance (well whatever balance Wes is supposed to have) I think your idea is better.

Here's a second take on the idea, trying to retain "my bad luck is your good luck", but without nerfing Wes.

How about this: every disadvantage Wes suffers from provides a related advantage to his allies :

• Wes is less efficient with weapons and some tools -> Allies near Wes get Wes' reduced durability loss without the reduced power.
  • Wes is targeted by lightning -> Allies near Wes will never be struck by lightning.
  • Wes is targeted by hounds -> While there is a Wes on the server, wild hounds (not event hounds) are neutral towards every other player.
  • Wes is more susceptible to heat and cold -> Wes provides a small amount of protection from heat and cold to neaby allies
  • Wes is groggy longer -> allies near Wes recover from grogginess faster.