Do the additional asteroids generate on world start or on the first time you discover them.

I have a really slow playstyle when I am playing this game, I am on cycle 800 and I am still running a steam rocket, and I am trying to upgrade so i can reach the rare resource asteroids. will generation changes in the upcoming patch apply to the new ones if i have not visited them yet?

45 minutes ago, Hokaeru said:

But I think the physics and lifespan actually start on discovery (when a dupe lands on it if i recall correctly), if you care about such things

Yup. And this isn't just for other asteroids. Basically anywhere that's still covered by "fog-of-war" (the black areas) isn't really simulated. This includes things like temperature, fluid and gas flow and critter behavior/aging.

So it's a good idea to keep an eye on the edges of your discovered areas while you explore. So you can deal with things like abyssalite breaks, or critters in cramped rooms before they get out of hand.

5 minutes ago, ghkbrew said:

So it's a good idea to keep an eye on the edges of your discovered areas while you explore. So you can deal with things like abyssalite breaks, or critters in cramped rooms before they get out of hand.

Which BTW is a little bummer. I dislike this gamism truth that you mere presence of seeing things suddendly is super important (like other games, simply being in a village is very dangerous for it, otherwise no harm will come to it).

I'd like it more if the game would on generation simulate already 1000 cycles after generation, so things are actually pretty settled when you actually uncover them. Yes I know, this would make world generation long.. it's just a wish without needing to tell me about the downsides...

4 hours ago, Oxygenbreather said:

Which BTW is a little bummer. I dislike this gamism truth that you mere presence of seeing things suddendly is super important (like other games, simply being in a village is very dangerous for it, otherwise no harm will come to it).

I'd like it more if the game would on generation simulate already 1000 cycles after generation, so things are actually pretty settled when you actually uncover them. Yes I know, this would make world generation long.. it's just a wish without needing to tell me about the downsides...

Not sure if I understood you right...Do you want to press the world generation button and then simulate 1000 cycles without playing and then join the game at cycle 1001 ? Ive actually epxerienced this in the game. It happens when you use the teleporter to the 2nd spawn world and then don`t revisit the teleporter world for 1000 cycles. The result is that its best to come back with rockets, full of frozen materials, and 20 dupes in lead suits to make the molten teleporter hazard world habitable again - It can be fun :lol: ...Lava starts to cook up the entire map over time.

General simulation affecting game performance:

If all tiles would be simulated at game start, one could start playing with 1-10 frames per second ( without actually seeing much happening as you start to play ). Its the reason why the game gets slower, the longer you play and the more you discover. More tiles are participating in the tile simulation and start to drag the game speed down.

This is exactly what I've been saying.. the world IMO should be generated in a way you're not racing against the clock as soon you uncover it, but things should have been settled. If it makes it freeze a world all after 1000 cycles without doing anything, it's not been generated well...

8 hours ago, ghkbrew said:

Why not just simulate all of pre-history during world generation? :)

https://www.dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Legends

:) But aside from legends mode, I believe when you start a fort DF makes exactly that, it simulates a bunch cycles before it lets you in, so things are settled down...

Archived