NOTE: I stole the split turbine design from ghkbrew, you can find his/her post here: Simplest Sulfur Geyser Tamer, however it does not cool the sulfur and that is what I am doing. The output sulfur is 100F (38C) and it seems to handle that well so it could probably get colder.

SENSOR SETTINGS: Conveyor rail thermo: 100F (38C)

Atmo Sensor: 20kg

Thermo Sensor: 300F (149C)

Liquid pipe thermo: 44F (7C)

MATERIALS: Radiant pipes: Copper

Metal tiles: Copper

Tempshift plate: Diamond

Everything in the steam is steel because I couldn't bother trying other materials, do at your own risk. Insulated pipes are all obsidian, other materials will probably still work though I would not recommend trying sandstone or granite. Actually this goes for all the materials, I know it works with these materials, try others at your own risk.

image.thumb.png.7b4e49bf326c25517981dd6468837ae7.png

This works by triggering the turbine with the hot steam generated by the sulfur, but also isolating it from another chamber in which the sulfur is cooled to solidify, because the turbine continues to suck the steam up since it is triggered by the hot steam.

image.thumb.png.f359c8849a51c8e09cfdb0130f8edefd.png

The turbine on the left is self cooled by its own output. It will seem to overheat when the sulfur is not flowing but it seems to come back when the sulfur starts making steam again so it is fine.

image.png.843df7e4a9ed4c49a84a2fc0c123d1b6.png

The right turbine only cools the steam when it gets too hot, and it only gets too hot because of the aquatuner. The atmo sensor allows water to flow in to replenish the steam sucked out. The conveyor rail sensor allows cool sulfur to be let out of the cooling loop, and the liquid pipe sensor controls the temp on the coolant.

image.thumb.png.ffdc78159bdcce1ecdec9f2a8674b9d0.png

The sulfur runs around on that loop in the metal tiles until it is below the selected temperature, in this case 100F (38C). Please note the two bridges are necessary, otherwise the loop will go the wrong (random?) way and won’t pass the sensor.

**I did not optimize the size of the cooling brick**, however it seems to handle this geyser easily and it has an average output of 2.55kg/s when not dormant. I do not know how it would handle something that outputs more, or if you could pump the sulfur from another geyser into this build to save materials. If someone finds out please do let me know.

Also I do know its inaccessible to dupes but I didn't feel like moving the liquid lock.

I have done some more tests, it seems to be able to lower the temperature to at least 70F (21C) with no issues, the only limiting factor being the lower limit of the coolant and the amount of power you can supply to the aquatuner.

that heat exchanger on the left. I am skeptical. I think you could build something much more efficient with a checker board metal/insulated tile pattern and counter current flow. One large block effectively averages across the whole thing where as for best efficiency you want to maximize delta T at every point.

7 hours ago, ghkbrew said:

Nice.  What's the overall power balance of the machine like?

Did you look at @nakomaru's power neutral model?

Uhhh... it's probably not great lol. My purpose here was to just get the sulfur as cold as I needed it, and on top of that I feel reasonably confident saying this could probably handle the sulfur from another geyser as well without backing up. I'm about to test that theory in survival without testing it in debug so we'll see how that goes. But yes the aquatuner eats quite a bit of power.

Edit: When the geyser is running it seems to net consume about 550W without the sweeper and loader factored in, but I also currently have it outputting 60F sulfur, so it's probably much better at higher temps. When the geyser is off little to no power is produced/consumed.

4 hours ago, tnankie said:

that heat exchanger on the left. I am skeptical. I think you could build something much more efficient with a checker board metal/insulated tile pattern and counter current flow. One large block effectively averages across the whole thing where as for best efficiency you want to maximize delta T at every point.

Possibly, however that wouldn't work with how I have it right now. The sulfur goes in a big loop until it has cooled down enough so it probably would average out the temperature anyway.

Archived