A streamlined Life Support rocket module

Right now, there seem to be more and more modules, and the stuff required for bare necessities keep increasing which could lead to bloating the rocket needlessly. The power module was a great step in the right direction, I believe this can easily be done with the life support module as well as many already seem to agree.

To reduce the bloatiness, it can be very small in dimensions such as 3x1 with a burden of 1, and hold 180 Kg of Oxygen and 3000 Kcal of food (If you can limit storage by Kcal in the first place?) while also working as a fridge keeping your food fresh. This is Oxygen and food enough for 3 Cycles, and of course if you expect a longer journey you can stack multiple on top of each other, or have a bigger more expensive 5x2 variant for when using the spacefarer module and bringing multiple dupes on the journey. The duplicants can retrieve food via a 1 tile big food dispenser placeable anywhere in the cockpit. The whole module should also have a power consumption requirement as well, but I wouldn't go above 120 Watts for it.

It can also hold some amounts of water if Space Toilets (which I hope we'll be getting) require water. Any waste water from this should just be vented into space though, along with any CO2 the dupes produce (Via a vent if needed, though I'd be fine if this was something the capsule did automatically).

Edit: The module would also have it's own separate ports from rest of the cargo, and the inside rocket fittings would draw from it instead of other cargo.

So to sum it up trivializing survival (any waste vents to space) and life support for just 3 cycles (less than any start of game provides)

I think if there was a life support module, it should provide food and oxygen for at least 20 cycles, no matter the cost of energy or resources consumed in order to have a reason for existing. 

As for any inside rocket buildings, I would find it more sensible to have a complete separate building menu (a new building menu that would pop up when you are inside the rocket like how sandbox menu icons are added up) than having extra 2-3 building for toilet, bed, storage, etc. But I also think that it would be too much effort making such menu just for this DLC.

18 minutes ago, sakura_sk said:

So to sum it up trivializing survival (any waste vents to space) and life support for just 3 cycles (less than any start of game provides)

I think if there was a life support module, it should provide food and oxygen for at least 20 cycles, no matter the cost of energy or resources consumed in order to have a reason for existing. 

The waste disposal is just a streamlining bonus I thought of, but I'm not opposed to having special buildings or parts that can be easily integrated to perform this instead. As for cycles, 3 was from the top of my mind since 180 Kg of gas already sounds like a lot so this can also be brought up, especially since they are stackable anyway.

20 minutes ago, sakura_sk said:

As for any inside rocket buildings, I would find it more sensible to have a complete separate building menu (a new building menu that would pop up when you are inside the rocket like how sandbox menu icons are added up) than having extra 2-3 building for toilet, bed, storage, etc. But I also think that it would be too much effort making such menu just for this DLC.

Fully agreed, and I actually expect this to happen at some point. I don't think adding a specialized menu would be too complicated though.

My ideal life support module would just be a normal storage, except it only holds a maximum of:

150kg gas
200kg liquid
200kg solids
550kg total

Module gets it's own ports, it doesn't use the rocket loader. Fixtures go to this thing instead of cargo hold. Let the player decide how to get stuff in and out.

4 minutes ago, n_t_p said:

My ideal life support module would just be a normal storage, except it only holds a maximum of:

150kg gas
200kg liquid
200kg solids
550kg total

Module gets it's own ports, it doesn't use the rocket loader. Fixtures go to this thing instead of cargo hold. Let the player decide how to get stuff in and out.

Ah yes, it should of course have it's own ports. But it should still definitely be stackable storage even if it was just simple regular multi purpose mini storage, because Oxygen gets spent the fastest and you'd often need more than one.

3 minutes ago, Unfawkable said:

Ah yes, it should of course have it's own ports. But it should still definitely be stackable storage even if it was just simple regular multi purpose mini storage, because Oxygen gets spent the fastest and you'd often need more than one.

The goal shouldn't be to store enough oxygen for the whole trip in the module. You should have to load up the cabin. the inventory is just for small early game trips that are short, it's mostly supposed to be a dedicated interface into the cabin.

And yeah, oxygen should be the first thing you run out of if a dupe dies.

Maybe it should get it's own loader instead of ports directly on the module actually

Archived