Uranium Superpowers, the Genetic Recombobulator

So I've considered many new uses for Uranium other than power, and the one I'd like the most is of course the most outrageous one. Irradiate your Duplicants to give them Superpowers of course. A disclaimer, this has some outlandish concepts that might work better as a mod than as part of Spaced Out, but I'm throwing it out here anyway as my brainstorming can at least help the guys at Klei have some takes from it, maybe.

So in essence, this would be a building that would work a lot like the Neural Vaccilator, only it would consume Refined Uranium and require an Atomic Research and Advanced medical degree skill dupe to operate (And a test subject inside the machine of course). This is a mid to late game concept due to requirements and resources required. The building would always grant 1 positive trait and 1 negative trait from the pool (cause editing genes with radiation is unpredictable, go figure). Limited to 1 use per dupe. Here are the details:

Genetic Recombobulator

Description: Radiates Duplicants with high precision radiation to edit their genome. The process is not perfect, and always grants one positive and one negative trait from the list at random. Limited to 1 use per Duplicant.

Dimensions: 4x3
Category: Atomics

Requires: Dedicated Room: Hospital; a Duplicant with both Atomic Research skill and Advanced Medical Care skill to operate. Consumes 500 Kg of refined Uranium per use.

Materials to build: Refined Lead 500 Kg; Steel 200 Kg
Power: 1000 Watts
Heat: +20 kDTU/s
Storage capacity: 1000 Kg of Refined Uranium
Operation Cycle duration: 60 seconds

Positive traits list:

Telekinesis: +8 construction, can perform construction and take items and provide supply errands from up to 10 tiles away

Laser eyes: +500% attack damage. Can attack from 7 tiles away (And an animation would be sick)

Electric presence: This Duplicant produces 1500 Watts of power, providing it to the Grid via the closest wire within 3 tiles. Won’t provide the power if it would overload the wire.

Photosynthesis: +8 Agriculture, the Duplicant recovers 1500 Kcal per cycle when in a light source

Giant Brain: +10 science, +10% Rocket navigation efficiency (Stacks with regular skill)

Levitation: This Duplicant can fly! +5 Athletics, can move as if using a Jet Suit without speed loss.

Octopus tentacles: +8 Machinery, can operate up to 2 buildings if they are within 4 tiles of each other.

Critterpathy: +8 Husbandry, you can issue move commands to non-aggresive critters within 5 tiles of this Duplicant. 

Negative traits list:

Radioactive: This Duplicant glows, emitting 50 Rads/Cycle

Frail: This Duplicant’s HP and hot/cold tolerance is halved

Hallucinations: This Duplicant is haunted by waking nightmares. Suffers 20% stress/cycle

Chronic Fatigue: This Duplicant loses 120% stamina/Cycle instead of 70%/Cycle

Changelog:
- Reduces Hallucinations from 30% to 20%

And that's it for now, I went with 8 positives and 4 negatives in the pool to keep the 2:1 ratio. Let me know what you think, and feel free to suggest your own.

I can see people turning Radioactive into a positive to create extra radbolts. Hallucinations seem too harsh. A constant 30%/cycle is hard to counteract especially on harder difficulties. That dupe would be stuck at the massage table half the time.

1 minute ago, Sasza22 said:

I can see people turning Radioactive into a positive to create extra radbolts. Hallucinations seem too harsh. A constant 30%/cycle is hard to counteract especially on harder difficulties. That dupe would be stuck at the massage table half the time.

I was aiming at making it not counteractable by the Sunny Disposition from Vaccilator, but maybe if you invest in a Vaccilator you should counteract it. Reduced to 20% then.

As for Radioactive, while this is true, they will still irradiate each other if you have a lot of them, and to consistently use this radiation you'd have to practically imprison a dupe. And you wouldn't do that would you :D

6 hours ago, Unfawkable said:

As for Radioactive, while this is true, they will still irradiate each other if you have a lot of them, and to consistently use this radiation you'd have to practically imprison a dupe. And you wouldn't do that would you :D

50 isn`t that dangerous. It would need to be over 100 and even then it would only hurt if a dupe was hugging him for the entire day. If it was like 200-500 then yes that`s scary. As an upside the dupe should be either immune to radiation (so he doesn`t kill himself with it) or have a very high  daily reduction that counteracts it.

6 hours ago, Sasza22 said:

50 isn`t that dangerous. It would need to be over 100 and even then it would only hurt if a dupe was hugging him for the entire day. If it was like 200-500 then yes that`s scary. As an upside the dupe should be either immune to radiation (so he doesn`t kill himself with it) or have a very high  daily reduction that counteracts it.

Yes, them being immune to their own radiation is of course the way it would go. As for the numbers itself I would hold on changing that just yet, as I'm not sure whether or not it would be a lot with the dupe interacting with the others for longer periods. The Space Biome does have 25 after all, so I'll let that number be for now.

Archived