Research - Solid Transport - Locked Behind Interstellar Research?

I'm not sure how I feel about some of the basic Transport buildings being locked behind Interstellar Research.  This currently includes Conveyor Bridge, Conveyor Rail, Conveyor Loader, Conveyor Receptacle, Conveyor Shutoff and Conveyor Chute.  Perhaps they would be better locked behind Atomic Research.

The Solid Rocket Port is in this same grouping yet Gas Rocket Port and Liquid Rocket Port do not require Interstellar or Atomic Research.

That leaves us with where the Cargo Bay should fit into Research that is also in the grouping.

It's fairly mixed bag in general for Research at this level.  One option could be be to split the groupings at this level and have the Rocket Builds require Interstellar Research and require the others to have Atomic Research.

I may have been grandfathered in, but I thought the bridge, loader, chute and rail was in the basics of of reasearch and advanced research.

I thought the rail filter was the only thing further out.

And yes, some of the research placement seems arbitrary at the moment.

Last I checked, the espresso and soda machine required nuclear research... so there's that.

Have you seen the jetpack requirements? 

12 hours ago, The Plum Gate said:

I may have been grandfathered in, but I thought the bridge, loader, chute and rail was in the basics of of reasearch and advanced research.

I thought the rail filter was the only thing further out.

And yes, some of the research placement seems arbitrary at the moment.

Last I checked, the espresso and soda machine required nuclear research... so there's that.

Have you seen the jetpack requirements? 

You were grandfathered in, as of the latest patch, the auto-sweeper and robo-miner are the only items in the Shipping category that only require novice and advanced science.  I tend to push hard on automation, so this is a serious pain in the butt for me.

And yes, I assume that a lot of the arbitrariness is game balance and some of it is lack of polish.  A gas range that requires Atomic research, natural gas, and still consumes more electricity than the Electric Grill is another example.

Jetpack tech requires all four categories of research, in case you weren't providing that as an example.  That much at least makes some sense, as it's the most technologically based version of the suits.

Well... Research tree changes will make some people happy at least (the ones requesting more gated research and not the two stations only research) and other people will probably start requesting less requirements for certain routes. :-D

I get it.  It just radically changes the experience for some of us.  I don't touch pacu, hatches, or dreckos unless I've got tech that is now a good bit later than it used to be.  And until solar panels got put behind atomic research, they were my go-to as soon as I could make atmo suits.  It just feels arbitrary.  "Everything behind this point requires atomic and/or interstellar research."

But as I said, I suspect that much of the unrealistic decisions like that are a matter of game balance.  I'm not complaining, just... not sure, disappointed is the wrong word, but definitely less enthusiastic.

The current requirements are a bit odd.

Having to go into space and sit there and research is somewhat farsical. Takeoff, research, and land, almost no fuel used.

Orbital research is one thing I don't think we need to be doing to run a railroad system. It just feels backwards.

Archived