World Seeds - Do they work?

Tl:Dr: My beloved world seed isn't generating right on my new PC and I'm heartbroken. I'm hoping for any ideas/input, please! 

Long version: I have a world seed that I had been using for a couple of different saves, it had a perfect center area that I just loved basing in. And then I needed a PC upgrade. I backed up all of my files, did all of the necessary saving aaaaaand still lost a number of files in the transfer (among them was ALL of my DS, DST and ONI saves :o :heart-broken: )... but that's an even longer story. Folders where I keep images and notes are fine however, so I have my text doc with my world seed noted - YAY!! 

But no, not yay.  The world that's being generated isn't my map. :cry:

Do seeds not work between computers? Am I missing something? Is there anything I can do to get my map back? Any and all input would be so sooooo very appreciated! Truly! ... Also open to any world seed/world gen discussion. 

5 minutes ago, MsSha said:

Do seeds not work between computers? Am I missing something? Is there anything I can do to get my map back? Any and all input would be so sooooo very appreciated! Truly! ... Also open to any world seed/world gen discussion. 

I believe Seeds generate different worlds between differe OS's. Are you on a different operating system now on your new PC? If so, that's probably it.

If not, then I'm not sure. There may be other things that contribute to seeds not working properly as usual.

2 minutes ago, Hornete said:

I believe Seeds generate different worlds between differe OS's. Are you on a different operating system now on your new PC? If so, that's probably it.

If not, then I'm not sure. There may be other things that contribute to seeds not working properly as usual.

Nope, same OS... a different almost everything else hardware wise, but software is all the same. Thank you though!

I think worldgen tends to be changed between large updates, leading to seeds generating a completely different worlds. you might be able to roll back to an older version (I think steam has this option?), and use that to generate the world.

other problem might be how seeds need the exact worldgen settings to lead to the same world, changing anything at all will lead to something different.

edit: btw, if you've just lost files to formatting a hard drive or something along the lines, you might be able to get them back by using various available recovery software.

• Developer
1 hour ago, Hornete said:

I believe Seeds generate different worlds between different OS's.

As of YOTB, Windows, Mac, and Linux all will generate the same world given the same seed.

1 hour ago, MsSha said:

Nope, same OS... a different almost everything else hardware wise, but software is all the same. Thank you though!

World Generation can be affected from game update to game update, the change made to make the above possible means world generation will result in new(but consistent) worlds.

• Developer
57 minutes ago, MsSha said:

Thank you all so much for the info! I truly appreciate your time. :wilson_flower:
Now I'm just sad though, lol. I so loved that map/base location. 

Glad to hear world seeds will work as intended now, right @zarklord_klei? Or am I mistaken?

World seeds will result in new, but consistent worlds. Whenever we change anything related to worldgen(even a minor change to worldgen will completely change all the world seeds), so for the moment they are consistent, but whenever the next changes rolls around they will result in different worlds.

Archived