How to prevent Thermo Regulators from flooding on game start?

How do I prevent Thermo Regulators from flooding on start up? When the game is running, I can put them in 200+ kg of liquid, to help with overheating, and they run fine. However, when I save/quit/load they're flooded.  They were in the exact same state before I quit. If I mop up the water, they work again, and I can fill their tile back up with a bunch of liquid and they work fine.

Alternately, is there a way to raise the liquid before they flood?

The problem is, I think, that they're supposed to be flooded in 200kg of liquid.  TR's aren't "submersible" buildings like aqua tuners are.  I suspect the fact that you can dump 200kg on them without flooding is a bug.  If you really want to cool a TR with liquid.   The best way is to put a few kg of petroleum on the floor and cool the petroleum.  If you want to go through the trouble, you can also put them on a mesh tile filled with liquid, plus a small amount of liquid in the tile they're in.  You'll get a huge amount of thermal mass from the full tile and the low mass liquid tile will still conduct heat away from the building.  And because liquid-liquid thermal interactions get a 625x multiplier the temperature of the liquid tiles will stay equalized.

My main question though is: what are you doing with thermo regulators? Chances are there's a better way to do it with an aqua-tuner.

There is a set amount of liquid pressure after which many buildings will report flooding. I've seen this happening near the 100kg/tile mark. Sometimes one can get away with getting them to work beyond this, but reloading the save loses the "numb" state the building had.

I'll second ghkbrew's question: do you really need to use TR's?

In any event, this amount of liquid I mention is not necessarily true for all buildings.

Thanks, I'll try less liquid.

6 hours ago, ghkbrew said:

My main question though is: what are you doing with thermo regulators? Chances are there's a better way to do it with an aqua-tuner.

5 hours ago, JRup said:

I'll second ghkbrew's question: do you really need to use TR's?

Early game, before I've gotten the power for aqua tuners, I find that thermo regulators are nice.

1 hour ago, mooklepticon said:

Thanks, I'll try less liquid.

If you're space limited - working in a vacuum then ~350 grams of petroleum/crude oil and a radiant pipe covering a single tile that is in contact with the machine will pretty much do the cooling job for steel TR's, just sayin' (this is assuming some kind of piped liquid cooling is done as well).

Also, if cooling hydrogen in a TR: -240ºC is the way (-241ºC is the theoretical limit to allow TR's to work with hydrogen, but if you do play on high speed or the build does work away from the camera's focus then funny stuff tends to happen so -240 it is for me).

6 hours ago, mooklepticon said:

Early game, before I've gotten the power for aqua tuners, I find that thermo regulators are nice.

Lack of power is good reason to use the more efficient aquatuner. An AT with water is about 3.5x more power efficient than a TR with hydrogen and has about 17x the total  cooling capacity.

Early game I put high draw machines on their own tiny heavy watt circuit with a battery then trickle charge it with a tranformer connected to my main 1k wire distribution circuit. The dedicated battery smooths out the power draw. If you have enough power for a thermo regulator you have enough power to run the aquatuner at, e.g., 5% up time. Power the distribution wire with a single small transformer and keep any batteries off it and you can put as much load on it as you want without overloads.

9 hours ago, TheMule said:

Weird, TRs use much more power for the same cooling.

Way less cooling actually even with full packets of hydrogen the TR is still horrible. I find that the only use for the TR is early game access to cryogenic cooling with hydrogen but I always just skip to super-coolant.

23 hours ago, TheMule said:

TRs use much more power for the same cooling.

14 hours ago, BT_20 said:

Way less cooling actually even with full packets of hydrogen the TR is still horrible

Much more power for the same cooling, or way less cooling for the same power, what's the difference?

You can daisy-chain 5 TRs, and you get a 1200W setup. The cooling (with hydrogen) is around 170kDTU/s.

One AT, with pwater, is 1200W and 585kDTU/s.

Of course with supercoolant it exceeds 1000kDTU/s.

Or, for abount 4250W (short of 18 TRs), you can produce the same amount of cooling on one AT (w p water).

It's rarely mentioned, and I think I've never seen somebody use it, but technically you can use steam in TRs, which almost doubles their efficiency. Of course that severely restricts their range of application. If something is above 125C, you can cool it down directly with steam and a steam turbine (no need for AT or TR). Below 112C it gets tricky (you can't allow steam below 112C enter the TR). That's why nobody mentions them.

The same applies to super coolant gas, if something is above sc condensation point, you can use steam directly.

3 hours ago, TheMule said:

It's rarely mentioned, and I think I've never seen somebody use it, but technically you can use steam in TRs

It's funny that you mention it.... I have a small wild slickster ranch that feeds on a CO2 vent (around 22 are making short work of the vent's production). Where this comes into play is that for space arrangement reasons I can only use a TR to cool (and heat up) the pen when needed.

This happened to be the best solution I could come up with at that time and have done remodeling so the whole jig is kinda like a v2 atm. Steam is used in the pipes to keep the temperatures at around a comfy 150ºC. TR activates when over that and the gas shutoff is used to heat up pumped CO2 when the vent is dormant:

Click on the spoiler to view...

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.4fec2858027db3145c1a98c86db6d39d.pngimage.thumb.png.08df5a38f569aa24a2ca68aca38f1870.png

Steam is actually required in this setup, I'd already tried hydrogen for cooling. Did not work.

Archived