extend of research patch

I usually ends up with researching nearly everything before I even develop basics like food and oxygen. My suggestion is to put more pressure on field researchers and requirement of testing in practice current technology before unravel following tiles i.e. researchers have to gain gamma points from 15 coal generators to appear a possibility of theoretical research of combustion generators then 20 of them need to be researched in the field to unravel the path for hydrogen generators etc. In short alfa and beta points allows something to be researched but gamma points from multiple of devices allows progress. MULTIPLE and WORKING Devices are essential as it extends the gameplay by forcing player to build a working environment and at the same time safe for duplicants (i.e. collecting data points from working aqua tuners or tepidizers).

You mean draw a strait line that no one can cross unless very specific steps were followed to the letter. I don't really like that sort of strait line of development that many other games follow. I find it boring and very repetitive. If you play it one time, it would make sense but after playing from start to whatever cycle again and again it would be very tedious to follow (the reason I drop many games after my first playthrough..)

It is just another choice you are given in ONI:

• restrict a dupe for x amount of cycles to research everything or
  • research the most essential at the time (depending on the map/planetoid) and let the scientist do other jobs in the meantime

On 2/3/2021 at 10:28 AM, sakura_sk said:

You mean draw a strait line that no one can cross unless very specific steps were followed to the letter. I don't really like that sort of strait line of development that many other games follow. I find it boring and very repetitive.

I wrote about extra requirement to extend research because by cycle 100 it is possible to have everything but rocketry. after that researchers have no purpose. my proposal is to research buildings like volcanoes and geysers in process of field research in addition to research at the desk. I'm wondering ho you don'f have that boring repetitive feel with current simple and straight science tree? If you read carefully first post then you will notice that idea was that only functional buildings could be researched to unlock next level. Offline or turned off does not comply with this requirement.  That means you need to physically invent and build system that uses this technology - that sounds more like a creative fun than boring and very repetitive. That's also extend time for opening and middle game as player have to get through whole technology instead current: go to surface - build solar panel and you've just entered the end game.

36 minutes ago, Tofiel said:

Offline or turned off does not comply with this requirement.

You mean "forced" to go a certain way in order to progress. Some planets(base game) don't have coal unless you ranch hatches or (DLC swamp) dig the barren biome before lava (probably scalding dupes). Coal specifically is a requirement to not use in order to get the sustainability achievement. And in any way "forced" to use everything before progressing I find it boring not creative. Creative is use anything any way you want (possible only in sandbox)

If you don't like easy energy my advice would be simply don't use it.

I usually go for smart batteries before using a coal generator but you say that should not be the way to progress through research and I just ask: Why not..?

DLC rocketry is not some end game tech anymore. You research it parallel to everything else. If you want everything researched before progressing you can do that. If you want to progress slowly you can do that. If you want to research only solar energy you can do that. (I like having many choices..)

It took at least 10-20 hours of gameplay (I think.. don't remember anymore..) to comprehend how everything worked out and how to combine different technologies in that "simple and straight" technology tree but you would like to complicate it even further...? 

On 2/3/2021 at 2:22 AM, Tofiel said:

My suggestion is to put more pressure on field researchers

I agree with that. I generally don't like the fact that you can learn 90% of the tree by sitting in the mud and eating raw meat.

I've been thinking about the idea of introducing more research builds that will artificially limit the rate of development. Sort of like this:
1. A regular table. Drag the dirt, we'll research everything. We mean, anything that can be made out of dirt. This is not much, but...
2. Computer. Requires water, some electricity. And a science dude.
3. A test chamber (name doesn't matter). Requires 1200 watts of power. And a science dude.
4. Engineering workshop. Requires refined metal (not lead) and 420 watts of electricity, a smarter science dude. And a consultant in mechatronic engineering.
5. High-strength materials lab. Requires polymers, 1200 watts of electricity, and, say, some kind of special gas. Natural or Hydrogen. And of course the science dude from the previous point.
6. Department of theoretical physics. Requires three science dudes as in the previous point, metals and 1200 watts of electricity. High metal ore consumption, very long research time.
7. "Lambda"-class anomalous materials lab. Must be built in the Black Mesa complex (new kind of room) and requires a super-smart science dude, necessarily named Freedupe. It eats (the complex, not Freedupe) 2 kW of electricity, occupies a huge area (at least 256 cells necessarily in the rock), and occasionally strange previously unknown Hatch-trait species appear in the complex out of nowhere, jumping on the faces of duplicants and infecting it with Zombie Spores. Finally someone builds that contrived medical thingy and gets a normal medic on the base. 
8. Our standard round thingy where the super smart science dude can stand with his glasses on. Just like Freedupe is supposed to stand.

Of course, I'm not sure it will solve your problem, but it will solve mine. I'm really suffering without facehugging Hatches in this game... 

5 hours ago, sakura_sk said:

It took at least 10-20 hours of gameplay (I think.. don't remember anymore..) to comprehend how everything worked out and how to combine different technologies in that "simple and straight" technology tree but you would like to complicate it even further...? 

10-20 hours... that's lik you said at the first time could be this way, but second base and 1-2 hours max ans everything is unleashed.

Archived