Lag Issues

Sorry if this has been posted recently, I've tried searching for recent threads with solution but couldn't find any.

First, I have an older PC:

1. i5 2500
  2. 8GB Ram
  3. GTX 1070

I know this could be a problem, but i can't change it at the moment. So what can i do the resolve my lag issues? I've checked older threads and i've tried the following for my bases in debug mode when i eventually gave up on lag around cycles 500-800. (10-20fps at x3 speed with a lot of stutters, note my CPU is never at 100%, however my rams are sitting 80-90%)

1. Infinite 1 tile storage for materials
  2. floor cleaned all the map
  3. reduced piping length as much as i could with usually one output source for each water  type since i consolidate each type in a tank of it's own.
  4. I tried tiling up most of the map in unused space in debug to see if it fixes the issue.
  5. I use about 30 mods, i disabled all.

So what are some tips I can do to make the slightly less troublesome? I usually have 0 issues until cycle 200, where i stop for about some time till i clean out all the map and clean the floors. Cleaning the floors is the biggest help so far but when there's nothing left, i'm not sure what else to do. This is discouraging as I haven't done the space biome yet.

You could also try to reduce critters/critter movement (and kill any shine bugs...) or play smaller sessions at a time (20-30 cycles, then save, quit to desktop, reload).

Although I only saw real improvement after upgrading ram to 16GB (if we are talking about Windows 8GB=4-5GB for game to use depending on what other apps are running). Usually after cycle 200-300 it uses 4-7GB for me. Sometimes if I quit to menu and load save it could use even more (up to 9GB.. don't know why).

There is also a mod "tiny worlds" (I haven't seen how it works though..) that lets you pick the size of the map (smaller size=less calculations needed)

Thanks for the replies, I kept my eye on RAM after restart, it's usually starting as 80% on the start of my game session but slowly creeping to 95% and i've sometimes had crashes in longer play sessions. Unfortunately, I have 2x4GB rams on my older rig, so i'd have to 2x8GB as replacement.

thanks for the help both.

2 hours ago, zheavy said:

Thanks for the replies, I kept my eye on RAM after restart, it's usually starting as 80% on the start of my game session but slowly creeping to 95% and i've sometimes had crashes in longer play sessions. Unfortunately, I have 2x4GB rams on my older rig, so i'd have to 2x8GB as replacement.

thanks for the help both.

Yeah, you have to replace them both then for the time being, until you consider / can afford a newer machine. 

ONI will run better with 16GB RAM, but it wont solve all your issues though.

Archived