Masterworks Skill

So I rolled a dupe that started with Masterworks.  Normally, I don't really care too much, but this time I said "sure, instantly start with some artwork for morale without having to level up" and decided to take her.

Turns out, NOPE.  Even with Masterworks (level 3), she still had to take Art Fundamentals (level 1) before she could do any artwork.  So, sure it did save 2 skill picks, but it lowered my excitement about having a bunch of swamp art :)

The "Digging" skills are similar.  If you start a dupe with T3 digging, they can dig through obsidian -- but not granite.  The skill is certainly useful, since you don't have to spend morale for it and it lets you do things earlier than usual.  However, as Soulwind said, its a tad disappointing as well.

The problem with Masterworks is that it doesn't unlock the ability to DO the artwork in the first place, it just improves the quality of the work done.  Thus you must unlock the T1 skill before you can do any art.  On the other hand, there shouldn't be any reason for @Soulwindto train T2 art.

Archived