Only two planets within reach? What gives?

So I started my game when Spaced Out first released (Dec 8th, I think?  Been looking forward to it for some time...) And I started on a swampy world, then found a world called 'vegitini' as the only world within reach before my telescope said it had explored everything.  After a reckless landing with no food and no atmo suit, managed to survive and build a colony and second telescope.  That telescope explored everything, and found...nothing.

I get the impression there are supposed to be several reachable worlds in this cluster.  Am I hosed?  Must I start over later (goodbye another 60 hours of base-building...)? It looks like there is some sort of telescope module for a rocket (mentioned, but not currently available...).  It's super annoying that I only find this out now after having invested this long in my world(s).  

So the Telescope inside the command module idea didn't work (which is too bad, that would have been a fun dynamic).  I sent poor Bubbles out into deep space to die a slow death as her food and algae slowly run out - but I was hoping she could beam back her knowledge of the universe as she used the deep-space telescope.  Alas, the telescope still thinks everything's been explored even though she's on the edge of known space...

UselessTelescope.jpg

stranded.jpg

47 minutes ago, JonathanHoffman said:

Alas, the telescope still thinks everything's been explored even though she's on the edge of known space...

It should work if you deconstruct the telescope and rebuild it on location.

Edit: Also the moved the worlds close enough that you can discover them from within the return trip range of a CO2 rocket. So no dupes have to die in the cold vastness of space.

Ah, yes, that works!  And...it feels like a bug :P  

But I've now discovered my third planetoid, I think this one probably will have oil (so, plastic! yay!).  I've also discovered that rovers can't build fancy things, so my whole plan to have my robot build a landing platform for my dupe has been foiled.  Yet another dupe lost to the merciless void of space.

9 minutes ago, JonathanHoffman said:

And...it feels like a bug :P

I honestly think this isn’t the intended way of reaching the fourth planet. I’m sure other rocket builds will facilitate traveling to other planets etc. This game doesn’t rely on ghosting mechanics where something is hidden and only accesible through a bug, glitch or some cheese exploit. 

23 minutes ago, misotoma said:
35 minutes ago, JonathanHoffman said:

And...it feels like a bug :P

I honestly think this isn’t the intended way of reaching the fourth planet.

I think the devs have made it clear that it's not. The guide mentions a cartography module which is probably the intended method of space based exploration. And late game rocket modules from vanilla will be returning too. The last patch notes made described how the moved  the planets closer *temporarily* so the game is still playable until that content is added.

I suspect the telescope in rockets business was unintended, but they're rolling with it until the planned methods are implemented.

Yeah I'm glad that it works because I really wanted to keep playing!

I've also noticed that my second planet (Vegetini) doesn't have a liquid\solid\gas teleportation system, but my third planet does.  How many planets have those? I guess...now that I'm thinking about it, only 2?  I obviously haven't used it yet, so unless there's some kind of switching mechanic, I suppose it only can have one source and one destination?

5 minutes ago, JonathanHoffman said:

I've also noticed that my second planet (Vegetini) doesn't have a liquid\solid\gas teleportation system, but my third planet does.  How many planets have those? I guess...now that I'm thinking about it, only 2?  I obviously haven't used it yet, so unless there's some kind of switching mechanic, I suppose it only can have one source and one destination?

You're talking about the pair of warp/teleporter combos that connect to one other planetoid?  I believe the current plan (and implementation) is that there is one planetoid that has connections for teleporting dups and "stuff" to and back from the starting planetoid.  I think the only reason they exist really is to allow us to explore a (read: one) new planetoid without involving rockets.

You don't need rockets at all to get off the starting planetoid. Just need to find the teleporter and zoom off to the next planetoid. FYI, the planetoid connected to your starting planetoid via the teleporter will always have oil on it. Granted, (at the moment) you may need atmo suits to get into the oil biome.

3 hours ago, ghkbrew said:

cartography module

About the module... Is is not implemented yet? Because I'm trying to find my 4th planet too... I didn't try the telescope inside the rocket but I might.

I already explored my 3 planets fully, have exosuits, petroleum and steel.

Also, I found some data banks on a planet but I don't have access to the station to consume it. I guess that's not implemented either.

Another thing, it seems like I don't have access to liquid oxygen and liquid hydrogen engines as we did on the base game. I guess WIP too?

3 hours ago, ghkbrew said:

The guide mentions

Can you link me to this guide? I guess it will answer a lot of my questions :)

40 minutes ago, PicaMula said:
4 hours ago, ghkbrew said:

cartography module

About the module... Is is not implemented yet?

Not yet, it's mentioned in one of the tool tips or descriptions that you can search the starmap with either the telescope or the cartography module, but no such module exists.

42 minutes ago, PicaMula said:
4 hours ago, ghkbrew said:

The guide mentions

Can you link me to this guide? I guess it will answer a lot of my questions

I meant the in game "Database" (hotkey U).  It does have good information, but not all of the DLC content has entries yet.  And some of the new entries are for things that aren't in the game yet.

Archived