Jump to content

"Super Sustainable" Achievement


Recommended Posts

So I was on a good way to finally get this achievement thanks to the relatively easy power production through solar panels that arent getting hit with meteors all the time in the dlc.... until I used the teleporter on my starting planetoid to visit another one and find an already built coal generator. Yeah, I guess it is a bit cheap to get the achievement this way but I also feel pretty cheated on as well since I technically wasn't the one who built it.

I feel like this should be shared since the developers also implemented the Plug Slugs which make this achievement substancially easier. So I would really like to see that being patched, be it by requiring the burnable fuel generators to actually burn something, removing pre-built fuel generators or by actually having to build them yourself for you to fail the requirements for the achievement.

For all those reading this: I'm in no way an expert on the game but please dont give me tips on how to get the achievements because of that. This is not what this post is about.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I misread your post initially.  So, here's a corrected reply:

First off, "Super Sustainable" is an endurance achievement based on the power you actually USE. Even with a coal generator, it will take some time.  

That said, this achievement is somewhat weird.  If you feed hatches, they poop coal -- so coal is a renewable resource unlike the coal we burn on earth.  If you're not burning it, then it becomes an unused waste product, which in my opinion goes against the whole 'sustainability' idea. 

Technically petrol generators are renewable as well, since piping water into an oil well produces oil continually.  However, an oil well is theoretically a finite resource since it produces elements stored beneath the ground rather than converting a farmed organic product into oil, so I can understand it not counting toward super sustainable.  On the other hand, ethanol is a renewable resource created by farming trees.   So, if you feed ethanol to your generators, it would make sense that the power counted toward super sustainable.

You can get into ALL KINDS of weird arguments over this particular achievement.

addendum: 

On one base I built some nat gas generators before I remembered I was trying for super sustainable.  I deconstructed them before powering them up, and it never counted against me on the achiev.  So.. maybe it will flag against the achiev only if you utilize that coal generator.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, KittenIsAGeek said:

That said, this achievement is somewhat weird.  If you feed hatches, they poop coal -- so coal is a renewable resource unlike the coal we burn on earth.  If you're not burning it, then it becomes an unused waste product, which in my opinion goes against the whole 'sustainability' idea. 

Technically petrol generators are renewable as well, since piping water into an oil well produces oil continually.  However, an oil well is theoretically a finite resource since it produces elements stored beneath the ground rather than converting a farmed organic product into oil, so I can understand it not counting toward super sustainable.  On the other hand, ethanol is a renewable resource created by farming trees.   So, if you feed ethanol to your generators, it would make sense that the power counted toward super sustainable.

Coal and ethanol are "not sustainable" because of their outputs, not their inputs. It's the asphyxiating in CO2 + heat that's the unsustainable part, not the coal production.

8 hours ago, Sniper Kirby said:

For all those reading this: I'm in no way an expert on the game but please dont give me tips on how to get the achievements because of that. This is not what this post is about.

I did read this, so don't consider this a tip for you, but rather for other people reading the thread who would like tips: Super Sustainable is pretty easy if you just go nuts with like 50+ dupes and have 30 set to Operate priority on running wheels 24/7. No need to go looking for hydrogen vents or anything fancy, just use massed wheel power.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was initially concerned that I could exploit the new teleport destination asteroids that had already-built Coal Generators, but I chose not to hook them up so that I could finally get the Super Sustainable achievement with a clean conscience. 

But since the latest update to the Testing Build, The achievement is locked-out with a red check next to "Never Built a Coal Generator" even though I didn't build it (and never fueled it, connected it, or drew any energy from it). This makes it basically impossible to get the achievement in the current build unless you don't use the teleporter. I will try deconstructing the generator, but I figure the achievement is already lost with this run.

Screenshot 2021-03-04 190708.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Kanukki said:

I was initially concerned that I could exploit the new teleport destination asteroids that had already-built Coal Generators, but I chose not to hook them up so that I could finally get the Super Sustainable achievement with a clean conscience. 

But since the latest update to the Testing Build, The achievement is locked-out with a red check next to "Never Built a Coal Generator" even though I didn't build it (and never fueled it, connected it, or drew any energy from it). This makes it basically impossible to get the achievement in the current build unless you don't use the teleporter. I will try deconstructing the generator, but I figure the achievement is already lost with this run.

Screenshot 2021-03-04 190708.png

IMHO this is clearly a bug and should be reported. So happy I've got it before DLC :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

×
×
  • Create New...