Turning off extra card packs

Woloa

So, I was discussing roguelikes over a round of Gungeon with my brother and we came to agree that all roguelikes which have meta progression that unlocks more and more items should give you some kind of option to reduce the size of the item pool.

In Crypt of the Necrodancer, for example, you can spend Gems in the hub area to remove your unlocked weapons, armors and items from the item pool, and then add them back in for free.

That got me thinking that maybe Griftlands should have an option to turn off the card packs you unlock by playing as a character a lot, allowing you to take out sets of cards you dislike or even go all the way back to a core set only run without needing to delete any data, with the ability to turn them back on between runs. Turning them off could cost Mettle, now that we have that mechanic.

16 hours ago, Woloa said:

I hadn't thought to look into that, but even so, if it disables your prestige progress just because you consider cards from a certain set to be dead draws that's kind of a bad implimentation.

I think that if you could control the entire cardpool, you could mess with the balance a lot - like, for example, you plan to build a diplomacy deck next run so you disable a few packs with hostility cards so that you get better drafts.

Dead drafts are an important thing for balance, I'd say - if every card you got to draft was a good one, it would break a lot of things.

On 12/13/2020 at 11:36 AM, AYellowShadeOfB said:

I think that if you could control the entire cardpool, you could mess with the balance a lot - like, for example, you plan to build a diplomacy deck next run so you disable a few packs with hostility cards so that you get better drafts.

Dead drafts are an important thing for balance, I'd say - if every card you got to draft was a good one, it would break a lot of things.

Sorry for the late reply, I don't visit the forums too often.

An easy solution would be to make a minimum amount of packs with each type of card in your cardpool, or even an option to use only the default cardpool without removing prestige growth, or, just, making sure every negotiation pack has an equal number of hostility and diplomacy cards.

Archived