I made a clock on pixel packs

11 hours ago, Saturnus said:

You should probably check this thread out then.

mind blown. Thanks for this, i'm definitely going to do a lot of playing around with this to make some of my automation ideas much more compact.

10 hours ago, Hokaeru said:

Yes it is very very clever, and at the moment, still quite beyond my grasp, I will have to tinker with this to get familiar with it.
A question, are you familiar with computing or did you trial and error in ONI ? 

i don't know who this was directed at, but my answer is that i'm primarily a musician, but i also dabble in computer programming (that was my backup career).

There's an interactive audio/video programming language I have a lot of experience in called Max that bears similarities to automation in ONI. A couple of quick screenshot examples of Max (which i'll hide behind a spoiler since this is pretty OT):

Spoiler

This creates a rhythmic MIDI drone that starts loud and then fades to quiet (or not depending on what value you send it). It resets its loudness-to-quiet ramp whenever a pitch on the bottom half of a MIDI keyboard gets played, which is redefinable by sending a 0-127 value to KeySplit (middle C is MIDI value 60).

1799891105_ScreenShot2020-12-07at10_36_55.thumb.png.1571f21e100d48ecff6a75039bfbafb7.png

--

This takes a live mic signal and plays it back in real time as a bending-down pitch shift. The degree of pitch shift is defined by how hot the signal is (i.e. more pitch bend if the player plays loud), and the amount of that pitch shift can be scaled by either a static value or by another live element, such as what pitch the performer is playing.

2136174253_ScreenShot2020-12-07at10_33_42.thumb.png.f609f1d0bd3a0916d2f323812cc51cb6.png

My obsession with Max and interactive music programming has definitely fueled some of my obsession with ONI automation.

8 hours ago, Saturnus said:

No. An automation tick is 0.1s. It's been consistently proven.

That's what I meant. If a game's tick is 1/5th of a second, then a game's half-tick is 1/10th of a second, so 0,1s.

Sorry maybe my English wasn't precise enough for me to be clear.

On 12/7/2020 at 3:32 PM, Hokaeru said:

A question, are you familiar with computing or did you trial and error in ONI ?

In my case, I had a little knowledge of computing, but I'm not a professional.
I got used to it mainly by trial and error in ONI and playing other steam games.
 - Factorio
 - Human Resource Machine
 - 7 Billion Humans
 - SHENZHEN I/O
I think the experience of these games that I have played in the past has also helped me to create ONI automation.
Also, if you can play around with the Redstone circuit system in Minecraft, that experience may probably be useful. (Unfortunately I could hardly play with Minecraft due to 3D motion sickness)

Thank you for your replies! I will try to improve, I think it is a nice way to learn stuff while being fun. 
darknotezero : I actually also make  music, and I am considering  whether or not to dive into the world of modular synth ! (at the moment only virtual  synth) Oxygen not included in the first step hehe.

Archived