So I'm pretty sure I saw that some crops' favourite season was Winter. If that means that they grow in it then I dislike it very much.

Winter is meant to be the Great Filter of dst. New players can no longer be depended on plant-based food sources. And, yes, while Kelp and Stonefruit Bushes do grow in winter, they require you to go sailing which also could be considered a great filter when it comes to newbies.

That's what made that season special. You could feel the cold and despair.

If we can now simply grow potatoes and pumpkins throughout the season then it loses its charm.

Please Klei, no plants should grow in winter.

I actually like it. I dont think winter is that great of a “filter” when comes to food if you consider that its the season where ice becomes available everywhere and 1 meat and 3 ice makes meatballs... from my time on public servers what ppl struggle the most with is freezing in winter (and deerclops obviously) only the absolute new comers to the game struggle with the food aspect in a major way as well. (Those who do not yet know the above mentioned recipe) 

I havent tested this yet maybe i will later today and edit this post, but i do think winter crops should take longer to grow than the ~3 day time period for crops in other seasons. A carrot in winter should take slightly longer to grow than a carrot in autumn etc. 4 days sounds like good minimum. 

The only thing im not sure about is the inclusion of pumpkins as a winter crop since im pretty sure that is not the case in reality (should be summer and autumn). Whereas root vegetables like carrots, beets, turnips and potatoes (actually a tuber) are indeed safe to leave in the ground in winter. 

But i guess im open to it if it helps beginner Wurts survive winter etc 

edit: without testing yet i actually think winter crops will grow slower by design since crops need light to grow and winter has very long nights and short days. 

1 hour ago, Ohan said:

I actually like it. I dont think winter is that great of a “filter” when comes to food if you consider that its the season where ice becomes available everywhere and 1 meat and 3 ice makes meatballs...

- Exactly.

1 hour ago, Ohan said:

what ppl struggle the most with is freezing in winter (and deerclops obviously) only the absolute new comers to the game struggle with the food aspect in a major way as well.

You are absolutely right.

@Szczuku I wish there would be difficulties to scale "The great Winter filter" but there are no difficulties at new world's creation so Winter must be survivable. And few cropses do not change anything (or really little).
  If we look at design and logic - it makes little sense for cropses to grow in Winter. But it depends who like it or not. And as it seems people like it.

Archived