Telescopes should be able to see through glass ceilings

With the current lack of ways to make atmo-suits on your starting planet you have to use breathing masks in conjunction with habitable space rooms, which I like. However the issue is that making a telescope room that wont give your duplicants hypothermia is really difficult due to it needing to be exposed to space. So trying to warm up the room with oxygen will cause it to flow out of the roof, wasting tons of resources. I think the telescopes should be allowed to see through glass tiles, they can already see through mesh tiles as well.

You can see that it's so cold on the surface that the duplicants are walking through liquid carbon dioxide that they exhale. The whole situation is very chaotic and hard to deal with.

image.thumb.png.b77a1cbaaab1bca8f3ff1387ff7cfc04.png

Also I feel like it's important to note that there are no meteors on the starting asteroid as far as I can see, so heating all of the rock up can take a lot of time.

They can see through glass, but can be a bit finicky...

I used little glass dome to explore from the starter asteroid, one which intersected the top of the natural background tiles (no drywall needed).

For the second asteroid (teleporter paired), I tried a similar thing, but could not get it to work - until I moved the observatory up so that the tiles it was on had "space exposure" - note how the building says "must have exposure to space in order to function"?

I'm not sure how strict it is, but attached is an image with illustrations of where I originally tried the telescope, and where it ended up working (obviously the tiles were glass while I tried it originally). Removed the telescope to recover the materials after it was done surveying.

There seems to possibly be rules beyond just "clear line of sight to sky", either that or it bugs out.

Skjermbilde 2020-11-25 210348.png

It bugs out sometimes.   I've had  one that works under a roof     of natural rocks.    There are some who have bugged it out to work inside a roofed rock command module.         After fully explored   I was able to build it anywhere once.    But it became pointless because it's all fully explored after that. 

It`s possible it uses the old telescope sky requirements. The old one calculated efficiency based on open sky above it, 5 tiles to the left and 3 to the right. This meant you could fully cover a telescope and it still had ~50% efficiency. This would explain why it worked in that spot as well why it worked inside a rocket.

Archived