Help changing a characters build

Hello everyone, first off I'm a complete newbie when it comes to modding. I've been poking around most of the day on the forums and experimenting in notepad ++

It is slow going though and I feel like there's a few things I don't know how to figure out but maybe if I did things would fall into place better.

My goal at present is to make one character load as another, I think similar to what this thread is about but its old maybe outdated and I'm not even sure if it was ultimately solved. Just like the OP in the old thread I'd like to mimic their idea so I'd still be able to use skins.

Basically I'd like to make a female version of Walter, I think to start I'd like to use Wendy's skin for this though and eventually try my hand at making my own artwork. It is for my wife, she is not a fan of playing male characters and I've wanted to try my hand at modding before. Seems like they were making progress on the old thread

I was hopeful a lot of it would just be a simple cut and paste job but either its not or I'm looking in the wrong places, there's things that are eluding me that I can't find. I can't seem to figure out where a characters starting items are listed nor how to make a different character able to use a character restricted item (whether that be by removing the restriction entirely or adding them or defining them as the restricted character...if that makes sense).

I feel like I could spend a week looking around and eventually figure it out but if there's some easy answers to some of my issues then that'd be awesome :D

Thanks in advance for all replies, happy gaming and modding :)

• Big Ups 1

Whichever is easier to do lol. From what I understand of the old thread is that if its done a certain way its essentially a reskin but you can't change your clothing skins, which would suck, and the OP was trying to find a way to do it without that occurring. Short of that then yes I'd be willing to try (re)create a female version of Walter, but as I said there are things I can't figure out tidy by myself, like how to make the slingshot work for players who aren't Walter etc

how to make the slingshot work for players who aren't Walter etc

I think this should do the trick

inst:AddTag("pebblemaker")
inst:AddTag("slingshot_sharpshooter")

EDIT:
You can find any "walter" occuring in scripts folder with Notepad ++. Just do: ctrl+f -> third tab -> type walter in the first field from top and path for scripts folder in the 4th one.

Edited by Yakuzashi

Thank you that's definitely a big helpful nudge in the right direction

inst:AddTag("expertchef")
    inst:AddTag("pebblemaker")
    inst:AddTag("pinetreepioneer")
    inst:AddTag("allergictobees")
    inst:AddTag("slingshot_sharpshooter")
    inst:AddTag("efficient_sleeper")
    inst:AddTag("dogrider")
    inst:AddTag("nowormholesanityloss")
    inst:AddTag("storyteller")

So adding all of the above should copy most of Walters unique perks if I'm not mistaken :D

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ghosten said:

Thank you that's definitely a big helpful nudge in the right direction

So adding all of the above should copy most of Walters unique perks if I'm not mistaken :D

Maybe not all of the unique perks. Some of his powers might require a bit more behind them than just tags. 

His storyteller perk also requires a component inst:AddComponent("storyteller")  and a few local functions in his character file would need to be copied over.

Woby also has quite a bit of custom code required in his character file. You could probably replicate it by copying it over to your character's file.

Yeah I'm beginning to notice that is the case. Things are slowly starting to make sense. Didn't realise the artwork/animation was as complicated as it is so I'm completely reconsidering my attempt on this project. Will just take it slow and try and research/experiment a little each day, thanks for everyone's info/input ^^