Leave Steam Turbine Room Door Open

I haven't played ONI for quite a while and everything seems new again.

So I was curious about whether it’s possible to leave hot rooms’ doors open, cuz I'm a guy who likes rooms with open doors. Then I did this experiment, the result was a little surprise. (It can keep outside temperature at around 22C while hot room is up to 310C, in my calculation)

Setting is simple, the left room is hot, the right room is cool, and they are separated by a “water lock”. (Temperature stabilized at cycle 64, but I ran extra 40 cycles)

834AF944-41F1-48FC-8365-BFC0926B75E9.thumb.jpeg.51441ab0746489bb6a8cf4d70cae0c74.jpeg

Compare two hot rooms with different hotness. A single woot can handle an 76.8 c open hot room pretty well. But it can't handle 226.8 c hot steam turbine room as graceful. (Edit: Room B re-run temperature shot up to 76 c)

Spoiler

49FB11A7-3D03-4EB0-88F5-6AB2A1F6FD35.thumb.jpeg.1fb7dcf5296f95ff03f9921ca1502e1e.jpeg

But at least we know this setup can handle an open cool steam geyser.

Then I had an accident. And I discovered this.

Spoiler

92A378C9-3C53-45C1-86E1-FDD68A736669.thumb.jpeg.9142c8a67e9186e249e688b009c2c22d.jpeg

A single small block of co2 is stuck in liquid lock. The little space wasn't taken by naphtha was because naphtha seems thick and sticky. There is 2kg naphtha sitting in the middle on top of crude oil, just not moving.

Now I know I can leave steam turbine room open, too.

Looks interesting, but somewhat not reliable. Standard setup with 2 liquid locks separated by vacuum is more reliable and allow almost no heat to escape (Only heat transfer is though insulated tiles surrounding the hot area.s

20200918142227_1.thumb.jpg.b757e3e05eaf544464bcc7aacc7cb732.jpg20200918142310_1.thumb.jpg.788637b706913e3e5c1154b11bc15c67.jpgs

But if space is scarce and reliability is not that important - why not

That goes to show that CO2 is powerfully weak when it comes to energy in this game! Now try chlorine :D

I like to use stacked liquids for my liquid locks in hot environments, a vacuum in between isolates the heat and allows me a more compact build...

Here's one of my tacky builds (click for larger picture):

317805410_tackybuildpowerplant.thumb.png.a696fda9d01c520c3dea1363b29e4eba.png

The danger is ever present.

8 hours ago, Cybeon said:

not reliable

Why is it not reliable? I'm thinking about using it in my real game. Can you point out the problem here?

1 hour ago, JRup said:

I like to use stacked liquids

That's great when it's stable, but in my game it has broken many times, and leaked steam is nasty.

Talking about stacking, I think naphtha is more stable than petroleum. It behaves more similar to gel than other fluids. Just talking about stability and risk control.

1 hour ago, JRup said:

Now try chlorine

Theoretically chlorine is a better choice. But it might be replaced by some randomly floating CO2 eventually. So I chose CO2 in my experiment.

23 minutes ago, goatt said:

Talking about stacking, I think naphtha is more stable than petroleum. It behaves more similar to gel than other fluids. Just talking about stability and risk control.

I've been using and abusing stacked locks for a while now (stable over hundreds of cycles) I've learned not to ship stuff through and not to freeze them ;)

Then again, I did say the danger was ever present.

Petro does flow veeery freely, so I did end up setting up a dispenser for safer amounts to be used in locks and so.

26 minutes ago, goatt said:

randomly floating CO2

Gotta hate random CO2

On 9/18/2020 at 10:56 PM, goatt said:

Talking about stacking, I think naphtha is more stable than petroleum. It behaves more similar to gel than other fluids.

Naphtha has 10kg min horizontal flow while petroleum has only 0.1kg, meaning you need at least 40kg naphtha to start flowing by itself, while petroleum starts flowing at 400g. Larger mass can prevent offgasing, provides a larger heat buffer, and probably has other benefits too. Naphtha also has a smaller TC so it is a bit more resistant to accidental boiling, but it still won't protect against a dupe carrying a ton of 1000C obsidian :)

But your design with a tile full of naphtha helps with that too, that part seems pretty stable to me. I would be more nervous about the single tile CO2, I think it won't be stable if that side is depressurized.

That 1 CO2 tile is what I meant by not reliable.
Many things can happen.

• Depressurizing.
  • Some dupe carrying something that can off-gas. that 500 gram tile can be displaced/deleted by anything appearing there
  • liquid spillover

And in general I wouldn't trust a gas tile in 1 tile deep pocket. Eventually it'll find out it's way out

13 hours ago, Cybeon said:
  • Depressurizing.
  • Some dupe carrying something that can off-gas. that 500 gram tile can be displaced/deleted by anything appearing there
  • liquid spillover

Yes these things can happen. But I just wanna mention 2 points.

1. it's unlikely. Depressurizing will reduce CO2 from 500g to 100g, let's say. It's not a big deal, won't affect the temperature. Off-gas is unlikely to be carried over there right outside the steam room. Unless polluted water to be heated? I don't do that at least. Not impossible, but unlikely. Deletion, well I can't really say anything about it. Displacement, but it's CO2, any other gas will be displaced back by CO2 later. Liquid spillover is more likely, but why would liquid be there in the first place?

2. Even it's happened, it's very easy to fix. just mop and/or add some CO2 there. When mistake happens, you can know from other graph, it will take very long time to develop temperature breach.

So yes, accidents can happen there, and it's not absolutely reliable, but it's quite reliable and resiliant.

@Urist McPilot yes you have seen thru it. The strength of the setup is Naphtha and CO2, but they can also be the weak link.

I'd expect the setup's temperature tolerance to be up to 310C, but steam turbine works at its peak at 200C, if i remember it right. I haven't played for a while. I'd expect the temperature to maintained well below 300C. I think it's quite viable.

It's really odd that I like rooms with open doors cuz you really don't need to get in and out of steam room after it's set up. xD

Archived