Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

ian16

New defense cards, and balancing issue

ian16    5

New Perks update is now available. I'm loving this update, and I think perks really help every runs to feel unique.

Along with perks, we now have bunch of new defense cards for both Sal and Rook. However I feel like some of these new cards are off-balance. Let me proceed with specific examples.

Waylay. 1 action. Gain 8(12) defense and insert 2(3) Blade Flash cards into your hands.

This card is an army of one. Not only it provides insane amount of defense and damage for 1 action card(total value of an upgraded Waylay is about 20, unconditional), it also fits in all kinds of deck. It guarantees 2-3 hits so power/wound deck welcomes it. Blade Flash has piercing, which mean it deals double amount of damage against Metalics, which is a great news for bleed deck. Improvise deck welcomes 0 cost cards. As for combo deck, there's no reason not to pick up 12 defense to preserve combo stack.

Another real issue is that it's straight better than an already existing card.

Dagger Storm. 2(1) action. Insert 2(3) Blade Flash cards into your draw pile.

Compared to Waylay, this card could cost more, adds Blade Flash to draw pile not hands, and grants no defense.

I think Waylay would still be a great card if it provides one(two when upgraded) Blade Flash. 

Other cards I want to mention are two of Rook's new defense card.

Tight Spot. 1 action. Apply 8(12) defense. Burnout(can be removed).

This card alone is fairly balanced imo. I mentioned this card only for a comparison, with Dug Out.

Dug Out. 1 action. Apply 10(14) defense. Gain 1 Wide Open(Exposed) at the beginning of your next turn. 

Wide Open is a new debuff. It prevents you from gaining defense from any sources. Now if you check downsides of both cards, you'll see what I'm trying to say. Burnout vs Wide Open. No downside vs Exposed. For only 2 defense, Dug Out has way too harsh downside, compared to Tight Spot.

(Speaking of Rook's new cards, it's a little disappointing for me that no new cards support empty cell playstyle. At this moment in compendium you can see only 10 cards support empty cell playstyle now, compared to 14 of overcharge, but I guess this is another matter.)

Again, I really am enjoying new perks atm. Thanks for your great works, devs. As for Waylay and Dug Out though, I feel like they definitely need some extra touch. I wonder how others think about them or any other new cards.

Maniafig    185

Waylay's a Rare card, whereas Dagger Storm is Uncommon, so it makes sense the former would be stronger. I see it as a defensive equivalent to Kidney Stun: Really good in any sort of deck, a free pick of sorts. I'm glad there's more really good Rare picks, because I was getting tired of taking the 10 shills so often when presented with multiple Rare cards. 

I think it's Dagger Storm that needs a buff, the payoff is too slow to be worth running as-is, I'd rather have Spare Blades, and that's a Common card. Maybe if it cost 1 action by default it'd be worth running, 2 actions is way overboard.

Agreed on Tight Spot/Dug Out, Burnout's not much of a drawback whereas Wide Open/Exposed can both screw you over big time.

ian16    5
16 hours ago, Maniafig said:

Waylay's a Rare card, whereas Dagger Storm is Uncommon, so it makes sense the former would be stronger. I see it as a defensive equivalent to Kidney Stun: Really good in any sort of deck, a free pick of sorts.

Fair point, though I hoped rare cards to be strong on certain circumstances only, like how they are on Rook’s deck. Cards that are always good eventually harms the game’s lifespan because people will always pick them up and that makes every run feel more identical.

Maybe we can think of a way to reward ‘rare card skips’, like increasing the skip shill bonus to increase by 5 per rare cards on the list.

ZeppMan217    365
2 hours ago, ian16 said:

Maybe we can think of a way to reward ‘rare card skips’, like increasing the skip shill bonus to increase by 5 per rare cards on the list.

I wouldn't skip Waylay even if it gave a 100 gold. A fat block with a couple pokers is a no brainer practically at any point, same as stuns.

ian16    5
31 minutes ago, ZeppMan217 said:

I wouldn't skip Waylay even if it gave a 100 gold. A fat block with a couple pokers is a no brainer practically at any point, same as stuns.

I agree. I only said it because,

20 hours ago, Maniafig said:

I'm glad there's more really good Rare picks, because I was getting tired of taking the 10 shills so often when presented with multiple Rare cards.

I think Waylay needs to be balanced(nerfed, to be specific), same as Kidney Shot, and as a small reward for rebalancing no brainers we may get bonus shills for skipping Rare cards, as we will be skipping some more after they get rebalanced, if they get rebalanced.

ZeppMan217    365

I've been thinking about Dug Out. What if it gave 10 Defense and applied 2 Exposed on cast instead of Wide Open next turn? Its upgrades would offer 14 Defense with 2 Exposed and 10 Defense with 1 Exposed next turn.

2 Exposed right away means you have to play it as the last card to maximize Defense gain, you forfeit half the defense you gain from your cells this turn and half all your defense next turn.