"Creation Station" - Structure Idea

Recently I was reading another users' post about different backpack color variations, and I had an idea that I wanted to throw out there after thinking about it for awhile. In short, this structure would be a crafting station that allows the player to "Create their own custom skins" in a sense. On the title screen for DST players could draw their own designs for simple things like backpacks / armors, and save their re-colors as skins they can apply in-game using this station. It would function similarly to the Potter's Wheel in it that you would have to place your item on the table, and then you choose what custom re-color you want to apply to it.

Personally I love the idea of being able to create your own styles and share the designs with others. You could make any re-color design that you think would match the occasion (IE: a snowman design for Christmas, a jack o lantern for Halloween, Hermit Crab for sailing the ocean, etc) and I believe this process would not take away from any current or future skins released by Klei due to the fact that these would be simply re-textures for default item skins, and change nothing of the outline for said creation.

5 hours ago, Owlrus98 said:

Personally I love the idea of being able to create your own styles and share the designs with others. You could make any re-color design that you think would match the occasion (IE: a snowman design for Christmas, a jack o lantern for Halloween, Hermit Crab for sailing the ocean, etc) and I believe this process would not take away from any current or future skins released by Klei due to the fact that these would be simply re-textures for default item skins, and change nothing of the outline for said creation.

This is a really cool idea! The only problem I could see with it is being tone consuming creating your "skins". Torso equippable need more than 10+ sprites drawn iirc. Other than that I love it!

This is a slippery slope that has no turning back. It'll force Klei to spend considerable time and effort constantly coming up with new materials and textures aswell as hunt down even more bugs for this. Most players are also going to come up with neon ugly eyesore colors all the time. This sort of customizability is also incredibly taxing on the overall game atmosphere. Consider that item skins already push this limit to the extreme and most of these don't even look that bad.

I've seen this pattern happen for too many games. I'll have to say no.

Archived