Exposure

I know Don't Starve is not meant to be a survival simulator, but one of the biggest threats in a survival situation is exposure. One of the most important things you can do in a survival situation is find or construct shelter. I don't know if that's in the works for future builds, but considering the plethora of building materials available I am often wishing I could build a simple lean-to. Better yet, slaughter the pigs and squat in one of their houses.

It's probably been suggested before and I know I'm late to the party, but it's something that has been nagging at me ever since I stopped dying on Day 1.

you mean something like... a tent?

shelter in this game could be just cosmetic atm, since you are meant to run around and do stuff, not hide inside a building, and the tent that is in game is totally suitable for that role, it gives your basecamp a campy look, even though it does not really provide shelter. this might change at some point, but as of now, I don't think that we need to be able to build a house just for the sake of standing inside of it.

Have not encountered the tent yet - was not aware of it. And there's more to do in a shelter than just stand in it. A hot shower comes to mine (my survival shelters are very ambitious). I see your point though.

- - - Updated - - -

Have not encountered the tent yet - was not aware of it. And there's more to do in a shelter than just stand in it. A hot shower comes to mine (my survival shelters are very ambitious). I see your point though.

* mind - oops

this might change at some point, but as of now, I don't think that we need to be able to build a house just for the sake of standing inside of it.

Well I think that constructing building may be far off... or never in the works. However if rainy weather is introduced (and I'm fairly confident it will at some stage) then I wouldn't mind being able to construct an umbrella to protect you from getting too wet. Depending on what the new 3rd gauge will be getting soaked by cold rain may be detrimental to it (i.e. stamina, sanity/happiness, warmth).

Also, instead of a cabin maybe an alternative for the base camp could be a canopied area (i.e. 4 stilt legs and a roof). It wouldn't block your view and allow you to run through it. If rain extinguishes fires faster maybe it could also be used to protect your fire pit as well as keep you dry when it rains.

that's actually what I had in mind. if we get rain, and it has an effect, a shelter like you describe would totally make sense. I doubt we will ever get a house like structure to build, and I actually don't even want something like that at all. I feel the stuff we are able to make should always feel makeshift, and the overall goal should be trying to escape from the island (even if this was not the actual goal of the game), and beeing able to build a real house of some sort would feel wrong in that perspective.

Well, the whole thing has a very existential flavor to it, so I wouldn't be surprised if there is no escaping the island ;)

I agree, I would not want a shelter mechanic if it were only for aesthetic reasons. There should be a purpose to it, and it should solve a problem.

Right now a shelter should be buildable that would act as a kind of permanent straw mat I think. Sometimes you kind of finish everything you want to do at your camp in the night and it would be good to have a way to skip off to morning. As for an exposure bar, I think it could give a nice not just aesthetic, reason to wear hats.