Dupes unresponsive when a tile is built on them

This is a frequently happening issue, can always be reproduced.

When digging space and building tiles, if a dupe is standing in where a tile is being constructed, he/she will teleport onto the tile at the moment when building progress is done. After the teleportation, he/she will stand still for a short moment, being completely unresponsive even if force movement command is issued.

The dupe's task list will show the task he/she is doing is still on going, but there is no effect.

On 7/10/2020 at 11:25 PM, GZackham said:

When digging space and building tiles, if a dupe is standing in where a tile is being constructed, he/she will teleport onto the tile at the moment when building progress is done. After the teleportation, he/she will stand still for a short moment, being completely unresponsive even if force movement command is issued.

I also have seen this and would consider it a bug. The teleporting is simply graphical/cosmetic, but the unable to respond to a move command (not something by I have personally seen) is gameplay related.

I would think the expected response would be that the  duplicant should stop their errand, move out of the now unavailable space (with regular movement animation), and resume their errand if possible.

Pausing an errand in this way, may be messy in code space, so it wouldn’t be unreasonable to simply put it back in the to-do list.

If the devs are feeling extra ambitious, a duplicant could predict a tile being built on their location (essentially saying “a tile will be built in 2-3 seconds, I should stop my errand and start my move animation”). This would make it appear more realistic and fluid.

Archived