I'm starting a mod about challenge battles

image.thumb.png.b9ef5a08e37a4145fa63a1d798a934b2.png

I'm starting a mod that allows the player to attempt challenge battles, since right now the game is extremely easy. These challenges are designed to be, well, challenging, and requires a lot of experience with the game to beat it.

The player can attempt the challenge at any time when you can talk to a bartender at a bar. Right now, the enemy difficulty scales with the day count, but it might be changed later.

This is an example challenge battle. You(and potentially a pet) fight against Nadan, a captain, a raider, and a thief, at the same time, without any backup mercenaries. I have an extremely lucky run, with 2 dockhand boons, level 3 "meet me at the crossroads" quest on day 2, both rise and hesh outpost, and an upgraded, trained vroc, along with a bunch of items(most of them have replenish), and is able to beat the challenge while losing only half of my health, on prestige 0. Anything less will probably get you killed. However, a good thing is that you don't die from challenge fights. You are forced to flee the moment before you take lethal damage. Or you can save scum and avoid initiating the challenge battle, that also works.

Now I need other challenging and/or interesting ideas for these challenge battles.

If people want I can share the current state of the mod on github, but right now there's only one challenge battle, and I don't feel like it's a good time for this.

(Also, when Nadan unsummons the spree, all the spree at the beginning of the battle also run away, for some reason. Might have made the fight easier than it should be. Still, I can rout all the other sprees before Nadan unsummons with my extremely broken deck)

Edit: Here's the link to the mod. https://github.com/RageLeague/ChallengeFight

Ideas for challenge battles (not all necessarily with same difficulty!):

- 3 krills
- 2 grawkits
- Wealthy merchant with 2 Patrol leaders. It 2 Patrol leaders is broken due to their special ability, then replace one leader with 2 guards.
- 4 bog shieldbearers (they used to be really strong, not sure if this is a challenge after they got rightfully nerfed)
- Oolo with 2 Berthas
- both Assassins at once
- Bossbit, only it spawns automechs instead of feral autodogs?
- Kashio with all artefacts (good luck!)

as someone who sucks at the deck building and roughly as much at fighting...ya'll gonna need this.

File:Gold Christian cross.svg - Wikimedia Commons

i like this idea, making the game harder since it has been numbed down a bit, but i'd say a step in the direction that i'd love would be a general buff for every enemy in the game, nothing crazy. mainly i liked old short fuse. just bring that back...please.

46 minutes ago, RageLeague said:

image.thumb.png.aa5bba5439ba71ab5c2683a26254984b.png

Kashio with every artifact on prestige 0.

She's probably going to be even stronger on higher prestige.

Based on the Kashio thread, I think the glaive actually prevents her from stacking wound, for some reason. Maybe she's actually stronger without it? But yeah, high prestige will be tricky (20 defense per turn instead of 10, for starters).

1 hour ago, pacovf said:

Based on the Kashio thread, I think the glaive actually prevents her from stacking wound, for some reason. Maybe she's actually stronger without it? But yeah, high prestige will be tricky (20 defense per turn instead of 10, for starters).

Glaive now actually have a higher base damage. The flail attack that applies wound now only applies 2 wound, and usually only occurs every 3 turns(no blast chamber), so glaive might still be stronger.

Also, the challenge did say "all artifacts", so it would be weird if I grant an exception to this one particular artifact.

I added 10 challenges, and here is the mod, if anyone's interested.

https://github.com/RageLeague/ChallengeFight

Here are the challenges right now.

• Four Clobbers: Defeat 4 Bogger Clobbers.
  • Four Luminari: Defeat 4 Cult of Hesh Luminari.
  • Mark of the Assassin: Defeat Zyn, Hanbi, and Threekwa.
  • Monster Karen: Defeat the Shroog and the Flead Queen.
  • Nadan's Vendetta: Defeat Nadan, a Spree Captain, a Spree Raider, and a Spree Thief.
  • Nature's Uprising: Defeat 2 Grawkits and 2 Krills.
  • Omni-Kashio: Defeat Kashio with all the artifacts. Not 3, not 5, ALL the available artifacts in the game. If you have mods that adds more artifacts, they will probably be added too.
  • Unlikely Alliance: Defeat Fellemo, Kalandra, Arint, and Flekfis.
  • Wrath of the Dynasty: Defeat Oolo, Foolo, and 2 Battle Oshnus.

Might add more, might add custom rewards to the challenges. Any suggestions are welcome, except those that tells me to nerf the challenges, in which case I'll say no.

Have you beaten them all yet?

I don’t know what sort of reward even makes sense here. If you can beat these, you some need any help with the rest of the content. Maybe just score, not sure if that’s doable.

I confirm that I have beaten them all. Some I don't have to go all in, but others I have to use every item I can to beat the challenges.

Right now the rewards are 150 shills and an item card that you may or may not able to get in the base game normally. I'll have to look at the scoring system to see how to change the scores.

okay, so the way the scores are calculated, it's all calculated inside the gameoverscreen widget, in the init function. It's hard to add additional score calculation entry without modifying the original score calculation init function, and if I modify the original function, it will probably break many things when devs decide to update anything.

Maybe the devs should make it so that it's easier to add additional entries to the scoring system. That shouldn't be too hard. Just drop the "local" modifier of "APPROACH_SCORE"(or otherwise make it accessible globally) and use a loop instead of hard-coding the approach block adding section of the code, and it will be easier to add additional entries for scores.

To change the score easily, the only way is to change the stats of the existing entries, such as the number of times negotiated, fought, quest completed, and so on. However, changing those will cause the corresponding stats to not reflect the actual stat. I could increase the number of quests completed by 1, since that would make the most sense, but that would just increase the score by 75 without prestige scaling, and when everyone's so competitive about scores, a 75 in score increase is neglegible.

image.thumb.png.14335d4aca3023272d32cefe411d2c25.png

Everyone*'s here!

*Bosses not included.

This is the first time my computer starts to lag when I play this game. That time when I froze the game doesn't count.

Edit: For some reason, Kalandra is not considered unique. I know this, because she showed up in this fight where everyone is non-unique.

After some heavy nerfing of the scenario, i finally beat the challenge with a rook deck.

The nerf I added are: only include all generic, non-promoted npc class(also kalandra for the reason described above), and restrict the opponent max party size to 3.

Even still, I have retried many times to beat it.

Might update the mod soon.

I don't think adding promoted npc class to the challenge is a good idea, because it makes the weaker npc extra hard so you have less breathing room. And you fight more people. But this is a challenge battle mod, so i don't know. What do you guys think?

26 minutes ago, Wumpus the 19th said:

How about jesus kra'deshi.

take a normal kra'deshi, any class...and make it's regen worth maybe 70 or something.

you need to be able to deal it's entire health pool worth of damage to kill it, otherwise it'll re-heal.

I'll do that once smith npc is implemented in the game.

Archived