So about Wendy and Walter

Is there any reason why Wendy loses sanity at night and Walter gets immunity to it? If Walter gets to keep his immunity to sanity loss at night then Wendy should at the very least have that same immunity. If anything she should get a sanity increase at night.

I realize Wendy doesn't need anymore buffs (she's in such a good place atm) but it just feels odd that she loses sanity during night-time when her character is supposed to prefer night.

I think it stems from the fact that Walter is brave so he ignores the fear from the dark, whereas Wendy is getting "used to" it. I put emphasis on "used to" because she was not always the way she is now; in fact, based on the trailer and some quotes (such as the Garland), it seems that Abigails' death was somewhat recent for her and she is just now getting used to the darkness because she has been spending a lot of time in it. It still bothers her a little bit, but just not as bad as everyone else.

Garland - "But I am in mourning..."

One could make a case that - in same vein as other characters having some form of mental illness/affliction in various degrees (Willow's pyromania, Wilson's slight narcissism, Wickerbottom's insomnia, Woodie's potential schizophrenia, Maxwell's megalomania etc) - Walter may be actually suffering from Urbach-Wiethe disease (particularly the calcifications on medial temporal lobes, more precisely destruction of amygdala associated with fear responses - example) or something similar, making him pathologically fearless (not by power-of-will, daringness etc). Wendy on the other hand suffers from depression, seems to have a high EQ yet a cynical introvert, and familiar with personal tragedy plus a precocious child regarding general knowledge - her reduced sanity drain is different from Walter total lack of: stems from life experiences.

Archived