Multiplayer Prospects

I only know a little about Griftlands, as I have never played it myself. However, I'm familiar with the general flow and that there are many many details and little interactions that make the game what it is. My question is whether or not it would be possible (and if Klei has mentioned) to make a multiplayer version of this game. I know it would be extremely limited compared to what the base game offers, but I'm curious about the cards/deck building and combat aspects. I know these may be the only usable aspects, but I wonder what it might look like.

If you've heard anything or have any ideas, please tell me about it.

Like other singleplayer roguecard genre game(that's really specific), multiplayer won't work that well. Defense and composure is useless, because the opponent is not legally required to reveal their intent, and since they only last until the end of turn, the opponent can just play around with it. Building arguments is pointless, because the opponent can easily destroy them. So the strategy basically involves who can do math the quickest, and that's about it. Like in magic where everyone just play burn spells.

However, this game system can be designed for multiplayer, and then the game basically becomes hearthstone.

Yeah, I notice that would be quite a strange way of setting up a multiplayer version. I was also thinking about hearthstone. I guess if you extracted the combat systems it might just literally become a hearthstone 2.0....

I think there's actually a very fun format you could use the cards to pull off multiplayer. It would require some rebalancing and some cards wouldn't work at all, for instance any cards that grant bonus actions, but I think most would remain playable.

Phase 1: There's a coin flip to determine who's card goes first (Heads or Snails - this impacts Rooks cards if it's a negotiation)

Phase 2: Each player plays cards from their hands up to the actions provided. The actions remain as masked intentions in the same order they were played. 

Phase 3: The actions take play in the order they were prescribed and they alternate between players. Player 1 gets action 1, player 2 gets action 1, player 1 gets action 2, etc... This goes on til all actions are played. Both sides get the same amount of actions. If one side doesn't have any actions, they get 1 composure/defense randomly.

Phase 4: Rinse, Repeat  

This would work in either format, and it could take a bit to develop, but this much would serve as an interesting deck-building side venture. The harder parts would be all the things that go along with it. It would require be maintaining balance over time (which requires its' own team usually) and the card buy system or deck point limit you would have to develop in order to bring a semblance of fairness to deckmaking. 

Archived