Massive heat deletion/creation bug from liquid boiling -- Part 3: 2 kg/s Liquid Hydrogen using 120 W of power!

For those who don't know, the flaking bug is a bug in the math surrounding the 5 kg flaking/boiling mechanic in the game.  In reality, when something big boils liquid, its temperature is effected less than if something small boils liquid.  However, with the flaking bug, this is backwards.  Small things can boil tons of liquid whereas bug things can boil very little.   This means that when something small boils liquid, heat is created.  When something big boils liquid, heat is destroyed.

Related posts:

Spoiler

I created this post in a post in the Part 2 thread, but I think it is important enough to warrant its own thread.  This use case is very interesting, though it is using the same bug.

The main feature of this build is that flaking is used to reduce the temperature of 2 kg/s hydrogen from 26.9 C to between -243.0 C and -245.2 C without any external pre-cooling.  I simply run the hydrogen close to the donor cell and put the aquatuner in to the "warm" side of the hydrogen path.  Since the donor plate drove the temperatures down, I am able to precool the hydrogen essentially for very cheap.

The donor cell/boiler plate is 20 kg solid naphtha.  The tiles next to the boiler plate are 10000 kg lead.  All of the other natural tiles are simply 1000 kg ice for thermal stability.

The aquatuner is in charge of keeping the liquid hydrogen in the flaking area cold and also condensing the hydrogen at the end.  It is running 10% of the time, so on average 120 W is being used on the aquatuner, which is cooling the final condensation room and the cold side of the flaking room.  So it is an average 120 W liquid hydrogen machine that produces 2 kg/s liquid hydrogen.

image.thumb.png.c8e943284db2d0feaa15294e68c063f3.png

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.8f58acbea0730cd0474a6ae47747fa49.png

image.thumb.png.e1fd57874ba088634c223f47d9e61437.png

The thermal sensor under the solid naphtha is fully functional.  Also, the large automation piece is for thermal transfer.

Old pictures:

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.1e76ba3dd4f27db37f8bf02aec2e5694.png

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.01e699ec34b19a020cfff236c37b344b.png

The big automation piece is used as a giant heat transfer plate.

image.thumb.png.1d8242cf324ae27c43f1e73646ef2e1a.png

Though this build was built in debug, each individual component could be built in a regular game fairly easily.  The biggest challenge would be to get enough supercoolant from space.  The other components are not hard to make.  For example, the 5000 kg naphtha tile could be created by simply compressing 5000 kg naphtha in to one tile then freezing it with all the stuff behind it prebuilt.  10000 kg lead would not, as you can simply make a 3 tall stack of lead, which settles at around 10000 kg.

EDIT:  For this example, I am using gas pumps to move the gas around.  However, since it does not depend on any existing structures, this could be attached directly to an electrolyzer setup via a EZ Bead Pump.

EDIT 2:  I accidentally had thermal transfer where there shouldn't be.  I have fixed it and doubled the power efficiency.

56 minutes ago, mathmanican said:

Chlorine and a thermo regulator for early game cooling?

That could certainly be viable.  Carbon dioxide could also be good.  Perhaps using ice as the boiler plate?  But it would certainly be early midgame, as there is a decent amount of automation and requires aquatuners.  Perhaps I should try to start a new colony in Ardio and see how long it would take to get an open air mealwood farm functional. 

I'm going to see what happens if I use a more thermally conductive material than naphtha.

I replaced the 20 kg naphtha with 20 kg ethanol.  I think it improved the efficiency to 6% uptime, but that might have been partially due to the increased thermal mass.  Because the higher the thermal mass, the greater the efficiency.  That means it is 72 W of power.

By the way, my reasoning for increasing the conductivity is that it can flake more often due to it reaching the appropriate temperature faster.  This means that the heat would be drawn out of the hydrogen faster and cause more flaking.   If the hydrogen leaves colder, then the aquatuner doesn't have to work as hard to condense it.  Therefore, even if the flaking is less made efficient, it can save energy on condensation.

Perhaps I should have 2 aquatuners.  One for the flaker and one for the condenser.   That way I can see where changes save energy. 

Ok, using this for liquid oxygen is completely broken.  It uses less power than a light bulb to condense 2 kg/s liquid oxygen than it does to power a light bulb. 

Note I am not including the pumps in my power calculations as the liquid pump is a constant across all such builds and the gas pumps could be replaced with a direct connection to an electrolyzer setup. 

The measured components are just the doors in the flaking chamber and the aquatuner.

image.thumb.png.cef07289db80ef9dc37093ca1e18c1a2.png

Here, I used 10,000 kg naphtha and ran the liquid condensation pipe closer to the boiler plate.

I started this at second 0 of cycle 308 and it didn't deplete the 10 smart batteries until 58% of cycle 328, so 12,348 seconds.  This means, if you account for battery power drain, it took about 9.53 W on average to run this condenser at 2 kg/s. 

The Super System Cycle 346.sav

4 hours ago, Zarquan said:

I started this at second 0 of cycle 308 and it didn't deplete the 10 smart batteries until 58% of cycle 328, so 12,348 seconds. 

I think the real question is if critters were harmed in the making. Those pieces of meat are quite condemning.... 

Meep is calling DETC (Dupes for the Ethical Treatment of Critters).

Spoiler

mf-animated-new.gif.39870885409035f5bfba

My only hope is to provide a laugh that is half as good as what you provided with your monstrosity. Nicely done.

I added a new thread on the topic of cooling.  You'll find it here. 

Spoiler

Archived