Does Griftlands follow a set story?

I am not really seeing anything mentioning this, but is it? I would think so, but are there some sort of alternate paths? Is there like somesort of sandbox mode or something? Does it just follow a linear campaign? Sorry if this has already been answered; I just can't find it (I probably could if I wasn't lazy)

56 minutes ago, gameslayer404 said:

I am not really seeing anything mentioning this, but is it? I would think so, but are there some sort of alternate paths? Is there like some sort of sandbox mode or something? Does it just follow a linear campaign? Sorry if this has already been answered; I just can't find it (I probably could if I wasn't lazy)

i'm assuming you're waiting for it to come up on steam.

There's 2 characters right now, and both have their own stories. there are alternative paths, with the differences being bigger in Sal's play through than rook's play through. they boil down to which faction you choose during the run.

i don't believe there's a sandbox mode, depends what you mean. there is a brawl mode that just sends you through a constant series of battles and dialogues to go through.

2 hours ago, gameslayer404 said:

I am not really seeing anything mentioning this, but is it? I would think so, but are there some sort of alternate paths? Is there like somesort of sandbox mode or something? Does it just follow a linear campaign? Sorry if this has already been answered; I just can't find it (I probably could if I wasn't lazy)

Yeah so it's pretty rad the game's got an overarching narrative for each respective character! But it's got the roguelike elements because the events, encounters, and NPCs you get will change every time (cause if you die you're dead dead lmao).
(Not really spoiler because this is established as soon as you begin the run but just in case I'll put an example with Sal in spoiler tags):

Spoiler

In the first character Sal's case, she's trying to get revenge against a major crime lord - but you obviously gotta build up some connections and resources to take them on. So all the various jobs you take day to day are randomized, but certain major plot points will remain the same (i.e. there's a couple major factions in the area, so you inevitably need to side with one or the other to get what you want).

Full-disclaimer, I'm biased as hell I'm a big fan of the game lmao.

But yeah TLDR: There's a different narrative/location for each character, the interactions and relationships with NPCs are wildly different across runs, (and since this is Klei we're talking about the writing is obviously god tier). So I can confidently say the emergent stories that kinda just come out by you playing won't disappoint. :)

Archived