Dont starve started as a roge lite survival crafing game where the "roge" part comes for the map generator, perma death, adquiring knowledge and playing with other characters. That was so fun when someone start playing DS, you have to explore a different map each time you die but when you learn how to survive you stay in the same explored map for thousand of days so the exploration part is lost.

What i though, and a lot of roge like games do, is to have a area that every time you enter it generates a new map with new loot, etc. It could be a ruins like biome with enemies and good loot and a final boss in the end BUT if you leave it will close and be destroyed so if you leave before reaching the end, the next time you enter it will be a complete different map so you must to do it in one attempt if you want to reach to the final boss/loot chest/whatever

With this, even a 10000 days world will always have a place to explore

As this is a multiplayer game this biome will only be reset if everyone leaves the biome (like how dedicated servers pause when is empty but reseting it) or making that players who enter cant leave until the dungeon is reset

And this could include something that i miss from single player DS

the generating world screen

Spoiler

image.jpeg.0499d47d621ddc0b1f277fd36738b476.jpeglatest?cb=20160611065213

Isn’t this idea basically just Hamlets trapped temples though? (I wouldn’t know because Hamlet is not available anywhere except on PC)

Klei has waited so dang long in releasing that expansion to console players that I’m not even 100% sure I can EVER go back to single player don’t starve to play it if they ever Do decide to release the Hamlet.

Why? Several reasons actually-

1-I love the DST Reworks and going back to Pre-Rework character is something I don’t picture myself doing.

2- I can unlock cool skins and cosmetics to make my characters stand out and look unique Unlike solo DS where Default outfit choices is all you ever get.

and most importantly 3- since DS, DS Shipwrecked and DS Hamlet are Single Player games I can not invite my friends to play them with Me.

The simple Truth is I don’t EVER Want Hamlet to come to Xbox, I wouldn’t play it at all simply for the 3 above reasons.. 

However what I WOULD Buy & Play (and what would make other people want to buy the single player DLCs) Is Don’t Starve Together: With Shipwrecked & Hamlet content compatibility.

The TL:DR- I don’t want to be forced to choose between playing Shipwrecked/Hamlet Content alone, or Playing without SW+Ham content & playing DST with friends.

Klei talks a great deal about how they don’t want to do paid dlc add on’s because they don’t want to separate their fanbase between who does and does not own DLC, but hopefully with this statement they can see from my point of view that THIS is even Worse, because your not separating your fan base between who owns DLC & Who does not own DLC, but Rather- Should you play Single player and ignore your friends or should you play with your friends and lose the ability to play the expansion content you purchased.

Shouldn’t there be a way for DST to recognize rather or not I do or do not own the Single player DLCs, and the same way you awarded players with exclusive skins like the pirate bird cage if you own Shipwrecked, or Playable Wormwood if you own Hamlet.. There should options of generating my worlds to include Shipwrecked/Hamlet features?

You wouldn’t be separating your fanbase between two different games.. or who owns the expansions because only the host would need to actually own the Expansions, Anyone can join and play- All it takes is a few extra seconds Or minutes of “Downloading DLC Assets” Just as Minecraft has done for years.

Owners of Shipwrecked would have access to exclusive Shipwrecked themed skins, Biomes, Would Gen & Weather settings, and Walani, Wilbur, Woodlegs & Warly for Free, (everyone who does not own the expansion can weave them or purchase individually or Buy the Expansion) 

Owners of Hamlet- Same as Above but With Wheeler, Wilba, Wormwood & Wagstaff.

Please Note: That if Hamlet Temples we’re NOT Randomly generated than this post is 100% completely irrelevant to this topic and I apologize for posting it, but since I don’t know that.. I shall post this Anyway. 
(and if Hamlet temples are NOT randomly generated Dungeons that was a Missed opportunity to pay homage to Indiana Jones and Lara Croft.. :( ) And If there ever actually IS a Hamlet: Together Edition- Then Randomly Generated Dungeons should be a must!

37 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Isn’t this idea basically just Hamlets trapped temples though? (I wouldn’t know because Hamlet is not available anywhere except on PC

no, they are not regenerated in any moment (only if you regenerate the entire world). Like other biomes but instead of aerial view you have the camera lock in showing the front.

about dlcs on dst... its a complicate topic and you know my opinion and, after playing a lot hamlet, a lot of things should be reworked if they mind to port them because houses and store can break the game balance easily

43 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

no, they are not regenerated in any moment (only if you regenerate the entire world). Like other biomes but instead of aerial view you have the camera lock in showing the front.

about dlcs on dst... its a complicate topic and you know my opinion and, after playing a lot hamlet, a lot of things should be reworked if they mind to port them because houses and store can break the game balance easily

Of course! It should Never be a direct port of anything, but thanks for clearing this up for me- now we should beg Klei for randomly generated trap infested dungeon temples when/if Hamlet Together ever becomes a thing. :) 

58 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Of course! It should Never be a direct port of anything, but thanks for clearing this up for me- now we should beg Klei for randomly generated trap infested dungeon temples when/if Hamlet Together ever becomes a thing. :) 

actually is sad that hamlets ruins doesnt regenerate because there are not many and some of them are so small so you waste the experience in "few" days

i hope klei someday will continue the single player and bring all to other console+ more contend and QoL update (omg the amount of bugs that happend in sw and hamlet...)

I’ve been playing a lot of Spelunky lately (charming little highly addictive game btw) And despite spending my entire life playing platformer based video games (I literally was around to play the first Mario & Sonic games..) Spelunky is like taking Mario/Sonic and cranking that up to 11!! Every level is randomly generated (obviously to limited degree) but still it’s enough to guarantee that no play through of the game is ever the same, and I’m not ashamed at all to say that despite having my entire life of experience, I have still yet to “Win” a single play through of Spelunky. 
It could also be because of the following Spelunky spoiler- 

Spoiler

The final Boss fight in Spelunky randomly spawns enemies you’ve encountered throughout the game and If the boss itself comes into contact with you, regardless of how many extra lives you had You are instantly dead and it’s game over. Yeah a game where EVERY Level is a randomly generated Nightmare has THAT as its final challenge.

Ahem Anyway... I would love to have truly randomly generated content in DST, but how would that work in a Multiplayer game?? How do you make sure that the dungeon randomly generated to be the same dungeon for everyone entering into it together? And how do you keep someone from regenerating a new random dungeon when they leave/enter it? 

I’ve played the games that had innovated the random dungeon spawn idea, games like Baldurs Gate, and Dungeons and Dragons, but how would that work in DST?

people already complain about not being able to run Cave content (which is arguably at least 60% of the game...) how would they ever be able to run a randomly generated server shard?

This is an idea I would absolutely love to see, but I very heavily doubt will be possible :( 

19 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

I’ve been playing a lot of Spelunky lately (charming little highly addictive game btw) And despite spending my entire life playing platformer based video games (I literally was around to play the first Mario & Sonic games..) Spelunky is like taking Mario/Sonic and cranking that up to 11!! Every level is randomly generated (obviously to limited degree) but still it’s enough to guarantee that no play through of the game is ever the same, and I’m not ashamed at all to say that despite having my entire life of experience, I have still yet to “Win” a single play through of Spelunky. 
It could also be because of the following Spelunky spoiler- 

Reveal hidden contents

The final Boss fight in Spelunky randomly spawns enemies you’ve encountered throughout the game and If the boss itself comes into contact with you, regardless of how many extra lives you had You are instantly dead and it’s game over. Yeah a game where EVERY Level is a randomly generated Nightmare has THAT as its final challenge.

Ahem Anyway... I would love to have truly randomly generated content in DST, but how would that work in a Multiplayer game?? How do you make sure that the dungeon randomly generated to be the same dungeon for everyone entering into it together? And how do you keep someone from regenerating a new random dungeon when they leave/enter it? 

I’ve played the games that had innovated the random dungeon spawn idea, games like Baldurs Gate, and Dungeons and Dragons, but how would that work in DST?

people already complain about not being able to run Cave content (which is arguably at least 60% of the game...) how would they ever be able to run a randomly generated server shard?

This is an idea I would absolutely love to see, but I very heavily doubt will be possible :( 

What i though when i write this is to have an area that is create each time you enter (like how every world is different when you load it for the first time). So when you finish it and enter again it will have another shape so you need to discover it each time. I changed the name of the topic because i realice wasnt talking about procedural

Maybe i miss the concepts but i was not talking about of making a map that generates at the same time you walk. Maybe procedural was a mistake because im not taking about creating the map in real time 

I will explain it with an example.

Imagine you enter in a cave, the cave world will being generate and you explore. You will have that cave map for the rest of the game. So even reseting it after fuelweaver will only reset his material and mobs but the shape is the same. That is cool but at the same time makes the ruins easier everytime you explore it because you memorice the map so you can know the best paths, where the enemies/loot are. Im okey with this but as a player that loves to explore and see what curious mix of biomes, set pieces, etc you get from a world i miss new areas to explore in old worlds

Now imagine a dungeon (like a small cave server) that when you enter it will create a map each time or maybe each time you leave it after killing/doing something

Or imagine (i dont want to change this but as a example works) that when you kill FW the entire cave is destroid and you need to explore a new cave the next time you enter but instead of cave and killikg FW is another server (idk how can this be include in the game since there is problems with the servers, maybe can be a isolate place in the map like houses and ruins in hamlet) and instead of FW is another boss or a puzzle or what ever aaand instead of reseting the material and mobs it reset the entire dungeon server.

The important thing is that even in a xxxx days world you will have always a place to explore

They can be include like ocean caves so can be more that 1 per world. Little entrance in little islands in the ocean

I expect this text can be understood, was hard for my shitty english+writing with the phone -.-'

i really love this idea this would be really fun and exciting thing. a ruins dungeon which is like a maze with traps and puzzles and treasure and monsters can definitely be a really fun place to explore especially if its a new one every like certain amount of days

idea for a random generated dungeon with puzzles and all that stuff can work as the next event too it will be much more fun event for me than the forge and gorge was

1 hour ago, --- -.- said:

i really love this idea this would be really fun and exciting thing. a ruins dungeon which is like a maze with traps and puzzles and treasure and monsters can definitely be a really fun place to explore especially if its a new one every like certain amount of days

idea for a random generated dungeon with puzzles and all that stuff can work as the next event too it will be much more fun event for me than the forge and gorge was

Still never got to play gorge or forge. :( 

Archived