Gnarwails need more reliable item tossing

As they are now, befriended Gnarwails serve very little purpose. Their attacks, which can be theoretically used to scare away Cookie Cutters, generate waves, making them rather inconvenient and possibly dangerous for your boat. Meanwhile, their mere presence tends to be an obstacle if you want to go fishing, since they tend to kill the fish and eat it themselves.

Their only saving grace is their ability to toss floating items to you, but they seem to use it very sparringly, so it is nigh impossible to take advantage of that as well. Every time I've recruited a Gnarwail to help me collect hard-to-reach salt crystals in the Brine Shoals, they've spent most of the day chasing cookie cutters who are too far to pose a threat or killing fish to feed themselves. In that time, I have usually mined about 30-40 salt crystals, but the Gnarwails will only bother to toss you 3-5 of them on those rare occasions they take a break from their other activities. (Not to mention, their accuracy can leave a lot to be desired as well.)

I think Gnarwails would make much more worthwhile companions if their AI was tweaked to prioritize item tossing in the appropriate scenarios. (Obviously, tossing me every single seed we come across is not that useful.) For example, they could work like pigs do with chopping: when the player the Gnarwail is loyal to starts mining a salt stack, they should start looking for salt crystals in their vicinity to toss to you. And this, of course, could be expanded to include collecting other hard to reach items that might be added in future updates.

Archived