Diagonal Construction

How does diagonal destruction/construction work? I've ran some tests and it seem utterly baffling to me.

1) I can remove a tile from any diagonal - in this case the lower one

1.thumb.jpg.bc2e656b823ac164bc83a7b82275d102.jpg

2) Note that, from this position, the debris cannot be removed. Weird, but ok I guess.

2.thumb.jpg.144828c1f0baaa9086f7d28b2c57c978.jpg

3) I can however build a new tile from the lower tile. That makes sense and is consistent.

3.thumb.jpg.be8ad91e459768277afacd1fc6bb5f3a.jpg

4) But I can't add a building from standing on any corner? What's the logic in that?

4.thumb.jpg.83fc4ef015e93ba503c55ebc3f8d7c0b.jpg

5) But I stand two away and two *up* then I can build it. Doesn't work if I'm two away and any number down however.

5.thumb.jpg.17b68e8fe4392616627f20a6355cbcae.jpg

Can someone explain the rules to me for dupe line-of-sight and errands? This super simple test makes it look like there's no consistency at all. Even 1-tile construction doesn't always behave the same way so I'm not even trying to understand multiple tile stuff (diagonally building pumps would be super helpful)

The thing is visibility rules. For tiles, you just need diagonal access, for buildings you need to see the tile. There was some discussion about the one-chlorine-tile-for-all-food-storage approach where visibility plays a role as well and it is also not really obvious.

On the plus side, you have pretty much listed the cases, I think.

That sweepers and dupes behave different is what really though me. I don't even see how you could code it to have such different behaviour. The difference between constructing tiles, constructing buildings and demolishing is mind boggling. It's even more infuriating because there's no way to see what the visibility of dupes are, or have I missed it?

8 hours ago, Olleus said:

That sweepers and dupes behave different is what really though me. I don't even see how you could code it to have such different behaviour. The difference between constructing tiles, constructing buildings and demolishing is mind boggling. It's even more infuriating because there's no way to see what the visibility of dupes are, or have I missed it?

Well, different behavior is kind of obvious as the sweeper has different reach from a dupe. And then you have the miner that has different reach and different visibility (only "up"). It would be good if you could see what a dupe can see from a specific position though.

Archived