c_connect() question

Hi! I'm not sure if this is the exact right place to post this so sorry in advance if I made that mistake, or if I missed this particular question being asked somewhere else.

So I have my dedicated server on a different computer, and I can easily connect through LAN via the

c_connect() 

command.

But curiosity, and simplification of the connection procedure by a tiny amount made me want to know how to connect to this same server from any network.
However I cannot for Pete's sake find any answers as to what the address should look like.
If the name is

"ThisIsAServer" 

, typing

c_connect("ThisIsAServer", ??????, "*************") 

simply times out, indicating it's wrong/not as simple as that.

All I've found online is

c_connect("your-hostname.subdomain.com", 10999, "my-awesome-server") 

, which made me wonder how the address should look like, and tried a few forms with no success. Do I need to buy a domain name or something for that to work?

You can either put in a domain name of the server, or just the IP address. Either works. The full format is:

c_connect("<IP or Hostname>", <port>, "<password>")

And the password is optional, so you can also do

c_connect("<IP or Hostname>", <port>)

if your server doesn't have a password.

Not sure if you can even leave out the port, if you set the server to a default port, but I guess it could work.

55 minutes ago, Daniel86268 said:

You can either put in a domain name of the server, or just the IP address. Either works. The full format is:

c_connect("<IP or Hostname>", <port>, "<password>")

And the password is optional, so you can also do

c_connect("<IP or Hostname>", <port>)

if your server doesn't have a password.

Not sure if you can even leave out the port, if you set the server to a default port, but I guess it could work.

Yeah, about the domain name, that's the only thing I don't understand.

How do I find out what's the domain name I should be typing in here? Is this a LAN only function?

c_connect("<IP or Hostname>", . . .)

• Developer
30 minutes ago, Elzar292929 said:

How do I find out what's the domain name I should be typing in here? Is this a LAN only function?

If you don't have a domain you can add DNS for, it won't work. Basically the answer here is "Use the IP unless you know you have a DNS entry pointing to the server in question". Sounds like you don't, so that has to be the IP of the host you want to connect to.

On 3/29/2020 at 3:54 PM, Elzar292929 said:

Do I need to buy a domain name or something for that to work?

1 minute ago, nome said:

If you don't have a domain you can add DNS for, it won't work. Basically the answer here is "Use the IP unless you know you have a DNS entry pointing to the server in question". Sounds like you don't, so that has to be the IP of the host you want to connect to.

I see. Thanks for the answer!

Archived