why can you put different staffs in the moon pedestal thing

The one and only function of the moon pedestal in terms of staffs is to just turn the star caller's staff into the moon caller's staff. But you can put fire staffs and ice staffs in there too, it just doesn't do anything? Why is this a thing that you can do if nothing happens?

I think that if you are figuring out the game by yourself (ei: without the forum, the wiki or even your friends), then the fact that you can put a staff in it means that a staff should go there. It's a good hint for what is exactly intended.

But tbh, a lot of what you can do in DST I could never have figured out just by myself

16 minutes ago, Lbphero said:

The one and only function of the moon pedestal in terms of staffs is to just turn the star caller's staff into the moon caller's staff. But you can put fire staffs and ice staffs in there too, it just doesn't do anything? Why is this a thing that you can do if nothing happens?

Well, actually the Moon Stone has more than just one usage in terms of staffs:

• As you said it can be used to turn a Star Caller's Staff into a Moon Caller's Staff
  • It can be used as an infinite light source which also cools nearby players down, if you keep the Moon Caller's Staff in the Moon Stone

And the fact that you can put the Ice Staff, Fire Staff, Telelocator Staff, Deconstruction Staff, Lazy Explorer in the Moon Stone is because it accepts any kind of staff as a hint that it accepts staffs, but other staffs just don't have any other usages besides decoration, just like the Iridescent Gem right now.

Just now, Viktor234 said:

Well, actually the Moon Stone has more than just one usage:

• As you said it can be used to turn a Star Caller's Staff into a Moon Caller's Staff
  • It can be used as an infinite light source which also cools nearby players down, if you keep the Moon Caller's Staff in the Moon Stone

And the fact that you can put the Ice Staff, Fire Staff, Telelocator Staff, Deconstruction Staff, Lazy Explorer in the Moon Stone is because it accepts any kind of staff as a hint that it accepts staffs, but other staffs just don't have any other usages besides decoration, just like the Iridescent Gem right now.

i said

12 minutes ago, Lbphero said:

The one and only function of the moon pedestal in terms of staffs

but this idea that it's a hint makes enough sense to me i suppose. it's kind of disappointing, but oh well.

I like the idea in games that you can do something just because it should be possible based on the current rules, not because it matters. Being *able* to put in other staves makes sense. I hope it's coded as being able to put any staff in, and the star/moon ones just have additional effects. Just like how you can put a top hat on a pig even though there's no reason to... unless you want a top hat on a pig, or got this ice staff lying around and don't want to just leave it on the floor. 

To me it's not a hint, but think about if it wasn't there- if you made the reasonable assumption that a staff went there and a staff didn't fit, the last thing you'd ever try to put in there would be a staff. Maybe you'd even consider putting the star caller's staff in, but time is short and you actually EXPECT that you'd be able to put in a fire staff if you can put in a star caller's staff. Consistency is important. 

Archived