Compact Fish Breeding Farm using Egg Freezer

So I came up with this design live on my twitch stream while playing. (http://twitch.tv/ronempire)

A viewer actually suggested the idea of freezing eggs using a double door trick for freezing larva eggs  since I had no real place to place it where it wouldn't eventually die because I didn't have a heat room yet.     Apparently,  its possible to 'pause' their viability and incubation via 'storing them inside doors. (Similar to how hatch eggs are buried and shove vole eggs being buried.

With that in mind, it gave me the idea of freezing fish eggs.   Before this design, I was using 3 weight counters for storing eggs, and 4th egg would replace the fish in the breeding pool.  It was a neat fish breeding system.     BUT  this new one is a lot more compact, and allows multiple eggs production beyond the 4 eggs  farm system  i had before  -    since only the first egg is stored (frozen)  and any additional eggs get moved out without concern or worry.   

The Feeder Clocks allow you to feed it either 3 times a day or 2 times a day or 1.  However you want.   
If you want to do 2 times a day, just turn the 3rd clock duration dial down to 0%.   And set the other 2 clocks  time to be 0 (one clock) and 50 (other clock).   and  the duration to be 2%    For 3 times a day, you do  activate time at 0,  33,  66,  and duration for all 3 to be 2%.

The automation basically is when a fish goes into the freezer, the top door closes and the bottom door closes at a delay of 10s.   The critter sensors need to check for no critter AND no egg  (thus AND gate)     and it will drop the frozen egg back down.       

If there are no fish in the room, the egg moving arm is disconnected.

Since the new Rails Overlay updated this patch makes it impossible to tell if there's a rail there or not.  I drew the blue line to show you that the loader and chute is connected.   It's priority 8 so that eggs are moved in there when the door is open.   When the door is closed.    the priority 5 box is used to move the egg to be frozen.   

The door is closed because there are no eggs on the weight plate (freezer).   It opens when  an egg is on the weight.   The priority 9 box is just to move fish meat and egg shells out.     It's open world so that you can store infinite fishes/eggs in the 1 column pool.    

The door by the algae box can be set to no entry  ( <- and ->  off )    so that your guy doesn't run in and take stuff.    Same with door above the feeder.  
They can reach through the door to fill the box as needed without entering the room.

You can use the top corner right box  "allow manual"  to drop an egg into the breeding pool to start the process.  (allow them to enter the room temporarily) Uncheck the allow manual when done.

Feeding it 2 times a day should get you 1 egg to freeze and 3 surplus eggs.     (Set the Fish Feeder to 1kg)
I haven't tested feeding 3 times a day yet.  Its possible to even add a 4th clock to do 4. (or 5th or 6th)

*Remember to maintain the temperature in a range that keeps gulp fish alive and tropical alive.   I filled it with polluted water for this example because i did it on stream.  But you probably will want some other liquid to avoid the PO2 off gas problem.  But the water will eventually get converted if you have gulp fishes.

fish_breeding.jpg

31 minutes ago, 6Havok9 said:

Guess who's that viewer?

Nice contraption :wilson_goodjob:

You rock  havok!    Thanks to 6Havok9  for the egg freeze suggestion

So hey havok,  I just got invited and accepted to be an affiliate on twitch now!   Thanks to all the views and follows!

I can stream don't starve for loot drops now!   hahaa.

Archived