Sand and Regolith should behave completely as a liquid.

Sand and regolith are a little strange in this game. There is something off about those walls of sand that even hold off water, Or those rare regolith pillars on the surface that sometimes get your dupe on top of them when they dig right below them.

Sand is no regular solid and that makes it interesting.

It behaves like a solid, cause it holds in place, as long as there is something below.

But it behaves like a liquid because it falls if there is nothing below. 

But, unlike liquids, it does not expand to the sides, piling itself in the same line. 

That is funny, both ways. And unrealistic. That' whats off.

This is what I propose.

1 Sand and regolith fall to the sides and down when there is space available. In order to not infuriate players, that should happen after the  tiles in the botton reach 1000kg, forming a sort of piramid or hill.

2. Sand and regolith break if they have an empty space to the side and more than its mass of liquid in the other side. That way, not only digging below the sand causes floods in liquid pockets, but also from the sides.

3. A meteorite causes existing regolith to pile to the sides of the blast, forming regolith craters. From the side view, two small piramids and a hole between.

4. If a dupe excavates a tile in the base of a sand or regolith hill, the whole diagonal line will relocate down, as it actually happens with the vertical line.

What will these changes do?

More realistic meteor surfaces. Mountains of regolith will fall like sand in a clock as you dig them. The landscape will be more even, but some places will take a good digging to reach the light.

No more "appear suddenly in the top of a regolith pilar an dig down for your life " situations. 

It will be harder to get trapped because big amounts of sand will form piramids that you can traverse up or down, if there is enough space, instead of three of more tiles sand stacks where you can't get down without ordering the dupe to dig. In large colonies there can be suffocations or "accidents" because of this.

Sorry for taking this long. I hope i have explained myself. This has been around from the beggining and i figured out it would be changed in time. Thanks for reading and good work.

On 14/3/2020 at 4:40 AM, Yetinotincluded said:

Sand and regolith are a little strange in this game. There is something off about those walls of sand that even hold off water, Or those rare regolith pillars on the surface that sometimes get your dupe on top of them when they dig right below them.

Sand is no regular solid and that makes it interesting.

It behaves like a solid, cause it holds in place, as long as there is something below.

But it behaves like a liquid because it falls if there is nothing below. 

But, unlike liquids, it does not expand to the sides, piling itself in the same line. 

That is funny, both ways. And unrealistic. That' whats off.

This is what I propose.

1 Sand and regolith fall to the sides and down when there is space available. In order to not infuriate players, that should happen after the  tiles in the botton reach 1000kg, forming a sort of piramid or hill.

2. Sand and regolith break if they have an empty space to the side and more than its mass of liquid in the other side. That way, not only digging below the sand causes floods in liquid pockets, but also from the sides.

3. A meteorite causes existing regolith to pile to the sides of the blast, forming regolith craters. From the side view, two small piramids and a hole between.

4. If a dupe excavates a tile in the base of a sand or regolith hill, the whole diagonal line will relocate down, as it actually happens with the vertical line.

What will these changes do?

More realistic meteor surfaces. Mountains of regolith will fall like sand in a clock as you dig them. The landscape will be more even, but some places will take a good digging to reach the light.

No more "appear suddenly in the top of a regolith pilar an dig down for your life " situations. 

It will be harder to get trapped because big amounts of sand will form piramids that you can traverse up or down, if there is enough space, instead of three of more tiles sand stacks where you can't get down without ordering the dupe to dig. In large colonies there can be suffocations or "accidents" because of this.

Sorry for taking this long. I hope i have explained myself. This has been around from the beggining and i figured out it would be changed in time. Thanks for reading and good work.

place a bunch of sand on the floor in real life, you can place something else on top

Remove floor, it falls.

if anything i agree that it should expand to the sides.

Archived